Ribs & Chicken

Mike O.

TVWBB Member
I'd like to make some ribs and chicken for an upcoming social gathering, but I've never really prepared more than one type of meat at a time in the WSM, and I'm a bit worried about the timing and coordination to ensure that both will be done at about the same time.

I would LIKE to make BRITU ribs (baby backs), and I was thinking the Basic Barbecued Chicken [from this site]. However, BRITU ribs call for water in the water pan, but the chicken doesn't.

I was also planning on putting the ribs on the upper cooking grate first, and then putting the chicken on the lower cooking grate at about the three-hour mark.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding timing, coordination, etc.? What should I beware of?

All comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike

The Basic Barbecued Chicken is a high temperature cook (no water) while the BRITU is more of a low-medium cook.

Use the Chicken! Chicken! instructions and put them on at the same time.

Optional - turn up the heat at the end to put a char on the chicken skin and ribs.

If I was going to do ribs and chicken at the same time on the WSM, I would do baby backs and aim for a higher temp of around 325 or maybe even 350. I prefer chicken cooked at higher temps as it tends to be more moist and have crispier skin than chicken done low and slow. Baby backs can take the higher heat, and in fact, some prefer them at those temps.

I agree with David. You can probably pull the ribs off and hold them for a short period and crisp up your chicken. I don't suppose you have a kettle or gas grill to help with the chicken, do you? I've got a kettle if you want to borrow it. What time can I swing by for some ribs
icon_biggrin.gif
?

I did 3 racks of baby backs on the bottom and 2 beer can chickens on the top rack. Held around 225 for 4.5 hours, both came out awesome. Only downside to the chicken (was moist and flavorful as ever) was the non crispy skin. Still worth it though....

I would have normally done the two chickens on the kettle however I was also grilling lots o stuff and didn't have the available room/time.

Back