Ribs and Chicken together on smoker

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I plan on smoking chicken and ribs together tomorrow (and yes, chicken on the bottom). I have been reading the various posts about cooking them together and was wondering if anyone has done it this way.

I was thinking of starting the ribs first with 2 chunks of apple and one of hickory, then about 1-2 hours later putting the chicken into the smoker. I figured that by then, the smoke will be subsided enough that was is left wont make the chicken too smoky while getting the ribs nice and smoked. And that they would finish at about the same time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PLEASE make sure the chicken goes on bottom and the ribs on top. Safety is always a major concern. You may also want to try substituting some cherry for the apple wood. Goes real nice with hickory and gives chicken a wonderful color when cooked.

Barry,

It sounds like a good plan. I always smoke halves of chicken, and start the ribs 2 hrs before the chicken when they are to finish at about the same time.

What kind of ribs? Spares will take longer then BB's. Are you doing whole chix or pieces?

Mike

Barry

If you're doing ribs you'll have a lid temp of about 250. I do a lot of chicken at that temp, butterflied halves, and you're looking at 4 to 5 hrs (180 in thigh). That's about the time BB would finish. With spares, which I prefer, you'll be cooking 7 to 8 hours (without foil) and the late start on the chicken would work. The amount of smoke you mentioned would not bother me on the chicken, but that's very individual.

Paul

Thanks for the feedback.

I am doing spares (which I prefer as well) and I plan to butterfly the chicken as described here. Only have apple wood.

What about instead of the hickory using a piece of oak instead?

I don't have access to apple but wish I did. I've heard it described as a very mild smokewood. Good choice with the chicken. Oak might mellow it down some but I don't think there's much difference especially with only one chunk. Probably do well either way. If one does finish before the other, I would want it to be the ribs because you can hold them better in HD foil.

Good luck.

Paul

Well, her are my results.

The ribs were excellent! The chicken was not smoky. I think that might have been because when I put in the chicken I took out the 2 chunks of hickory that I put in in the beginning (started with 2 chunks apple/2 chunks hickory). I wonder if I had left them in the chicken would have been more smoky (I took them about because of all I had read here about chicken absorbing so much smoke).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back