Ribs and Beans

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm planning on preparing a batch of "Bush's Beans" Chris describes on this site at the same time I'm smoking several racks of ribs. I wanted to place the beans on the lower grate in order to capture the drippings from the ribs which will be on the top grate.

The recipe calls for the beans to be in the smoker 2 hours ... but would it hurt to put the beans on at the same time as the ribs and leave them on for the duration of the rib smoke ... approximately 5 hours?

Dennis -

I did that with the beans a while back and didn't have much of a problem. It dried out a bit on the top, but with a stir it was fine.

One thing I did notice, though was that I caught too much dripping... which made it a little too greasy. If there is a way to catch just some of the drippings... or to skim it beforehand, that may work.

then again, that was just my preference.

Thanks ... I didn't think about there being too much drippings.

I prepared the recipe the other night (small batch) on the stove just to see how the family liked it. It was a hit, although the beans were a little runny to me. I imagine the addition of drippings would make it worse ... although you would be evaporating some moisture ...

I read advice on other threads about draining the liquid from the canned beans, but it seems like you would loose some good flavorings.

Try a smaller, taller disposable bread tin. You can move it off to the side a bit and you just get a bit of grease, also the extra depth means you can go 6 hours. My last ones ended up a bit thick, I added a bit of boiling water til it was fine.

Dennis, since the ribs take so much longer, another option would be to put them on the bottom grate, then just add the beans on top about 2 hours before the ribs are done. I would only do that if your racks are cut in half and you're not using sand though.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The Bush Beans recipe is quite good, but my wife simply adds brown sugar, bacon and some of my own bbq sauce to the beans and then puts them on the smoker about 45 minutes before I pull the ribs. Those beans turn out simply awesome.

I am thinking of doing the same thing w/ my beans, but I am doing a brisket tomorrow. My plan is to put the beans on about the lower rack about 1 1/2 hrs prior to pulling brisket (so that I catch some drippings, pull and wrap brisket and let bean finish on smoker. Anyone see any hazards w/ this? Thanks,

I don't drain my beans before doctoring them. I've had them on as long as six hours, stirring a couple of times and I really like them that way.

I put nearly a whole ring of sliced lean ham sausage in the last batch of beans along with fresh onions etc. and they were the hit of the meal.

The wife was none too pleased with the way the Corningware casserole dish came out looking but it cleaned up fine.

Have a pot of beans smokin' now. A can of Bush's homestyle with left over bbq sauce thrown in. Have some corn on the cob goin' on in a few minutes. Just waiting for the ribs to get done a couple of hours from now......Take it easy.

Kevin--

Just don't put them in cold. Bring them up to a simmer before you stick them in and try to be quick about getting them in there (as extra pair of hands can be helpful. Re-stabilize temps. If you want to capture as much of the dripping as possible you can stick them in at 160; later, say 170, for a bit less, higher for even less.

(A 1/2 cup of brewed coffee--a dark roast is nice--is a good addition to a pot of sweet beans. Just a thought.)

Have a great cook.

Thanks for the tip. Just got home w/ a 6.5# brisket flat to smoke. I want to eat around 5 PM tomorrow, so, I am thinking about puttin it on around 5 am or so for 10 hr smoke time. Does that sound like a plan, or do I need to concider an overnite smoke? Brisket is my weak point right now. Thanks,

Sounds reasonable.

If you're dinner time can be flexible or if you don't mind foiling the brisket to speed up the cook so much the better. not that you'll need to do either--you probably won't--it's just a good idea, imo, to have some flexibility built into the plan (should something go awry) when opting not to do an overnight cook. For a 6.6-pounder, I would not choose an overnight either unless I had to or reheating was part of the plan.

Enjoy your cook.

I've put beans in the WSM for 5+ hrs with no harm done. I stirred them about every hr or every hr and a half. No worries. Drippings are good.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Cameron:
Thanks for the tip. Just got home w/ a 6.5# brisket flat to smoke. I want to eat around 5 PM tomorrow, so, I am thinking about puttin it on around 5 am or so for 10 hr smoke time. Does that sound like a plan, or do I need to concider an overnite smoke? Brisket is my weak point right now. Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

12 hours is MORE than enough for a 6.5 flat. I'm guessing you'll be good to go by about 3pm.

Overnight will just make you have to tap-dance to keep it warm!
icon_wink.gif

Back