Rib Update

billy hughes

hi, well i started my smoke at 730 am 2 butts on bottom and 3 ribs on the top rack, i kept the temp at around 235 to 250 at the bottom rack. well 4 hrs later and i looked at my ribs and they looked over cooked, meat falls off but they were just on to long....and the rub i used i got off a bobby flay show showing top rubs, i don't care for it all, i think my next ribs will be no rub but sause at the end....

i think i made my mistake in that i was going by the bottom rack temp...and the dome got much hotter.... next time should i keep the botton rack temp at around 200 till the ribs r off then raise it up some?

i would always montor the top grate and keep it at 225-250 for ribs. then after they come off move the butts to the top. that will conserve on fuel.

update....not sure how but my butts reached 190 in about 9 hrs...2 at 6 lbs each....butt they did...both look great there was no real stalling out time, maybe 1 hr at 165, then it just kept going up....i was expecting a lot longer cooking time....but i wanna ty all that help me thru this, and there were many because i read alot on threads....so ty everyone....Billy

well i got to worrying about that temp getting there so soon so i went and checked the temp again with a different temp. gauge even now its still at 178 and its been off the heat maybe 20 min r more....so i guess it took what it took....ty again

6 lbs. @ 9 hours = 1.5 hours per pound. That falls within the realm of reasonable expectation.

Back