Rib Smoke Time Calculations

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

During my first smoke, we did ribs for 5 hours, and my average temperature was somewhere in the range of 200. I was really fighting it, but the ribs turned out pretty good IMHO.

We had our second ever smoke yesterday, and I was determined to make them more tender. I let them go for 6 hours, only to find out that they were a little dried out. This time, my average temp was higher than the first time by at least 25 degrees, and closer to 50.

I'm a little bit geeky, and was wondering if there is some way of calculating doneness. I'm thinking of jotting down temperatures and time durations to come up with a magic number.

Anyone else tried this? Calculating doneness based on average temps vs. time, without actually looking at the meat?

Its tough to calculate time with ribs because they differ in size and thickness from batch to batch. Actually if I have say 4 racks on the WSM I often find myself taking the racks off at different times since some finish sooner than others. I now just do the tear test and when they are done I take them off and place them on a tray. When they are all done I then put them on a grill the heat and sauce.

Bill--

Are you doing b-backs or spares? Are you foiling?

I do spares at about 230-235 grate. With a foil interlude they take about 6 hours. Without foil 7.5 or so. Foil can help with tenderness though if in it too long can make them too tender, imo.

With ribs, especially, I find you really need to look at the meat. Many people base their timing on the clock (x amount of time solo, y amount in foil, z out of foil again) but I prefer to go by appearance and feel of the meat.

Hey Bill

Haven't tried it, but have thought about it a good deal. There's more data on this site than any I've seen. Using heat transfer calcs (Q=UA(LMTD)), you could use data at one temp to estimate results at another and likewise, same temp but different meat weights or areas to estimate new times.

Loren

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Are you doing b-backs or spares? Are you foiling?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both times, we did back ribs. Haven't tried the foil yet, that's somthing to look into.

The ribs did taste fantastic, but were a bit dry. In fact, just a few minutes ago I was raiding the fridge and mowing down on the leftovers.

Ahhhhh....hickory smoked ribs. Ya got to love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you could use data at one temp to estimate results at another and likewise, same temp but different meat weights or areas to estimate new times.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we were talking about roasts, then I'd think that mass and surface areas would be really important. Ribs are so relatively thin, that I'm thinking that there might be some way to figure this out mathematically.

Then again, maybe I'm full of it.

Gotta go, there's cold beer awaiting.

Bill,
With ribs, as you've noticed, there's not a lot of meat (compared to a butt or brisket) you're cooking so they can get dry, especially on the outside layer, pretty easily. You might try a higher temp (about 250) with shorter time and spray with juice or a mop/baste along the way. I use a toothpick and stick it between the bones, if it goes in nice and easy, you're good. Have fun seeking perfection!

I agree with Jim Babek in that ribs aren't Spam, so they all cook differently. I cook them to the "shrinks on the rib" and "bone can break free of meat" stage. I've yet to pull three rib racks at the same time, but maybe I'm the 'geek'.

It's done when it's done and not before and too late after, so err on the side of underdone and foil/seal and allow the carryover temps to get you to the BBQ nirvana.

It's true that no 2 racks are the same BUT I almost always shoot for 4 total hours @ 250 for baby backs. (first 2 hours no foil, 1 hour foiled, the last hour no foil). Works out just about right every time. Good enough for me anyway!

I use 4 hours @ 250 for baby backs and 6 hours @ 250 for spares as a guide line. That's when I check them. I prefer them falling off the bone so I tend to let them go about 30 minutes longer. I use the toothpick test as a guide for when to pull them. I just did some spares this weekend and they came out perfect at 6.5 hours @ about 240.

I've tried foiling them a few times but I wasn't impressed with the results. I prefer the bark I get from not foiling.

Back