Rib Rub

Did these again tonight with a bit of a twist per Chris Lilly, I dredged the ribs in water and vinegar and then dusted with more rub (no sauce). I didn't think these could get any better.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Did these again tonight with a bit of a twist per Chris Lilly, I dredged the ribs in water and vinegar and then dusted with more rub (no sauce). I didn't think these could get any better.

I've been wanting to try that trick, good to hear it works well.

Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:

I've been wanting to try that trick, good to hear it works well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is Lilly's process exactly?

Anyway, I made up a batch of Kevin's rub that I plan on using this weekend for some ribs. It's probably the most fragrant rub I've ever made. Really looking forward to applying it.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Did these again tonight with a bit of a twist per Chris Lilly, I dredged the ribs in water and vinegar and then dusted with more rub (no sauce)...

Yes, I'm curious about this technique, as well. Do you rub first, then dredge in water and vinegar, then dust with more rub? This will definately be my next rib rub, along with the "Kinda Carolina Rib Sauce", but I'm wondering how the water and vinegar helps the process.

(I did a search, but couldn't find anything.)

Barret

Yes, I'm curious about this technique, as well. Do you rub first, then dredge in water and vinegar, then dust with more rub? This will definately be my next rib rub, along with the "Kinda Carolina Rib Sauce", but I'm wondering how the water and vinegar helps the process.
After ribs have been removed from smoker you dredge in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water and then dust with rub, slice and serve, no sauce. This is currently my favorite method.

Larry, what does running it through vinegar and water do for the ribs??? Could you use something else?

I suppose you could use something else. I assume the main purpose of dredging is so that the second application of rub sticks to the ribs.

The dredging technique is very similar to what Rendezvous in Memphis does to their ribs, after they're done, they mop them w/their vinegar/water mixture and then dust with a final layer of spices that allows the spice to adhere to the ribs. You could do this really with most anything you want, water, apple juice, vinegar, olive oil, etc, just be sure the dredging mix consists of the flavors you want your final product to taste like or you could be in for a surprise (not that I'd necessarily recommend olive oil, but it can really be whatever you want).

I used this rub a few weeks ago and loved it. I omitted the green peppercorns and the white pepper, and used half-ancho and half-chipotle powder and they tasted great!

I smoked them over four hunks of hickory for 6 hours, then foiled with a couple drops of apple juice for another hour. I transported them over to my dad's place and did the 50/50 water/vinegar dredge and rerubbed them before finishing them off on the grill. This is how I plan on doing my ribs from now on. I think I'll do a few racks this weekend...

Thanks Kevin. It seems like your recipes are pretty foolproof...

Kevin,

I'm not sure if you're still interested in this thread but if so, how would you update this rub knowing what you know now?

I just picked up some aleppo, ancho and chipotle powders and want to give them a try.

Thanks,

JDH

Well, when I'm not sure I know much more now than I did then, but when I wrote this to the board originally I noted paprika as an ingredient instead of what I actually used, likely guajillo (I do not use paprika in rubs - ever).

Were I to use what you have on hand I would replace the paprika with Aleppo, one of my very favorite chilies.

I do not use chipotle in rubs for longer cooked items that will be cooked in the presence of wood smoke as I let that handle the smoke flavor - but I do use it (or smoked paprika) in rubs I use for more quickly cooked grilled items. Chipotle would work in the rub, again replacing the paprika, for this type of cooking, especially with pork.

Have a rib cook on the go. Used this rub and substituted Aleppo for paprika as suggested. It has a great smell and coarse consistency. Can't wait to taste the finished product.

My favorite pepper as well. I use it in all Italian/Greek/Eastern European dishes. It has a great flavor and not quite the bite that straight red chile has. I like the citrus element it adds.

Nice rub, Kevin!

Liked them on my ribs but something about it didn't make it into a chicken rub today.

There was something in it that was different that went well with my ribs, maybe the cinnamon. That made it a pleasant aroma coming off the rib but didn't notice it in the taste but YMMV. The thyme clogged my shaker so I'll hand sprinkle next time.

I'm loving adding my own salt directly to the meat and I use very little kosher salt, my doctor will be happy!

I will ad my $ 0.02 to this one and say that this was the best rub I have had on anything yet. Thanks for this. I omitted the cayenne, due to the kids, and I didn't have the marjoram or the green pepper corns, but again, turned out just awesome! Made great bark on the ribs and everyone in the family downed them.

Will be looking for the green pepper corns next time at the store.

Thanks!!

I've combined this with my own version from years ago that I was using before Kevin's original post. My tweak is to use Vietnamese cinnamon, a little heavier than he does (I use 1t) and also add in a good dose of ground cardamom (3/4 -1 t). It's perfect and have probably done several hundred cooks with that mix.

When I'm doing a cook, I make a (modified batch) and mix in whatever I have left from the previous run just to even things out.

Can't tell you all the good words I get. People push away the sauce! And they tell me not to bother with glaze! Even though I have both available. They love this dry rub. EVERYONE!

I will occaisionaly do a wet mop from apple juice, butter, and drippings and toss on some more rub and finish on the grill when I have the audience that loves to push away the sacue and glaze.

Another classic recipe on this site.

Thanks Chirs for keeping Krugers recipes together along with his other groupings of comments, recipes and advice.

My original thread/bookmark no longer works and was just checking today to see if it was still available for other folks and was going to repost it if not.

Of course I have this recipe with my tweak notes hand written and am not dependent on electronics to reproduce :) Could probably make it in my sleep :)

Last edited:

Back