Rib racks vs. Rolling Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hi Folks,

My brain is reaching for some semblance of normalcy after the unbelievable tragedy of Tuesday. Perhaps this will help:

(1) There's been the discussion about rib racks, but I was wondering how the finished ribs on the racks compare with those that have been rolled?

(2) I spoke with someone who lays his rolls of ribs on their sides and turns them periodically so they are, in effect, self-basting. Any thoughts on that?

Regards to all,
Rita

I can cook more ribs with a rack, I will turn then end for end and over somewhere form the half way to 3/4's of the way thru the cook.
I've cooked as many as 16 racks at one time on a single WSM using racks. 6 standing in rack and two laying across the top of rack.
Jim

Good afternoon Rita:
I've both 'rolled' and 'racked' and have experienced the following. When I have rolled ribs, I've found that they cook fine and taste fine but that they do 'splotch' on the inside of the roll (the bone side) as Paul Kirk demonstrates on his tapes. This same inside splotching occurs when I rack a full load of ribs (5 slabs or more) because in my novice way and thus unlike Jim (the pro) I have never opened the smoker for any reason! However, Jim's method of turning/reverse flipping sounds very practical/functional and is something I will try in the future.
?.John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back