Rib lovers, - what is your favorite rub ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing my second rib session this weekend coming up.

I'm wondering if most of you love the BRITU rib recipe ( the actual rub ) and is this pretty popular with you guys ? or do you have your own secret recipe ....

I have tried a commercial rub on my first try, but I am thinking of trying the rub recipe for the BRITU ribs, and just wanted some moral support I guess.

thanks in advance,
Mark.

BBQ Mark,

I've used BRITU rub several times and I like it alot. I purchased Paul Kirks book and lately I've been making my own rubs and experimenting with different kinds.

I have not started to work with self creations for rubs, but I am getting close to starting. I currently use a wonderful Pecan rub made by Uncle Henry. It adds a nice sweet flavor to the meat. I have been mostly smoking beaf finger ribs, but fixing to start perfecting my pork ribs so I am not sure yet how the sweeter rub will turn out on the pork.

Do you mean John Henry's Pecan Rub? I have not heard of Uncle Henry's rubs.

yes John Henry's pecan rub. For some reason I got it stuck it my head as uncle henry /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have consistently used the BRITU rub (I cut back on the salt) although I try different sauces. My family loves my ribs and they took 5th place at the Thriftway BBQ Classic last weekend (BRITU rub, "secret" sauce). You won't be disappointed with the BRITU rub.

I also vote for the BRITU, brought some experimental leftovers to work (I was trying to decide on BB vs spares for a party tomorrow..)
They were gone in a flash...and the party has now doubled...

Looks like I'm in the minority. I've tried the BRITU and just didn't care for the taste.

For a general, all purpose rub, I use 1/3 brown sugar, and 2/3 Emeril's Essence. I haven't gotten any complaints from this rub. You casn get the essence components from www.foodtv.com

I think I'll try the BRITU again someday. Maybe I'll substitute ancho powder for the chilli powder next time. I used a generic chilli powder before and didn't care for the overall taste. Maybe it was the chilli powder, maybe not.

I agree with you Mike

BRITU is so salty you have to treat it like salt... just a lite sprinkle. I dont care for it either.
I use 1/2 cup of brown suger, 1 tblsp of paprika,
1 tsp of corse salt,1 tbls garlic salt and 2 tsp of pepper. Its from a recipie "David Colemans rib rub" in a Jack Daniels BBQ book. I have cut down on the suger from this recipie (it calls for a cup).
Jim

I tend to go pretty light on rub for ribs. They're a thin piece of meat, and a little goes a long way. The flavor of the pork and the smoke is great as is, and I try not to overpower it.
I usually use a pretty simple rub; kosher salt, ground white pepper, granulated garlic, and a little ground chipotle. (I love the chipotle!).
I used to use paprika, mainly for color, but I found that the ribs will get great color without it.
I did some spares last weekend, with some cherry wood a friend gave to me. Wonderful stuff.
Jim

I have been making my own. Using an old shaker I custom make the rub every time. Usually half brown sugar and other spices (salt, paprika, garlic, onion, pepper, etc).

Ribs taste so darn good by themselves - just salt and pepper them the night before you cook. After cooking brush em with heated red wine vinegar and then sprinkle "Rendezvous - http://www.hogsfly.com/index_main.html" seasoning. Their sauce is great too but I like to use my own.

I make all my own rubs and marinades. I can control the salt level when I do this, and have a problem with a lot of commercial ones that you buy. Our favorite for many years now has been one of Martha's that she originally used for Spice Rubbed Turkey on an episode with Bryant Gumble. Although I have used it for poultry, it's best on pork, any type of pork from tenderloin to ribs. I've made my own modifications from the original recipe. I store my rubs in a glass jar in the freezer, and make a large quantity so I always have it on hand. Emeril's rubs are also very good. I'm a personal chef, and buy my spices thru Penzey's. This also makes whatever I make better quality, because you never know how long the spices in the grocery store have been sitting around.

The first 3 times I did ribs, I used my own mix
of spices at random. Then I used the BRITU rub
and have been using it ever since.

For BRITU, as a rule, I've been simply cutting the salt content by 1/2 and applying the rub liberally like any other rub. The combination of saltiness, heat and sweetness is the key to the rub and sauce/honey combination.

The only complaint I've ever gotten was that it was a bit too hot. I've never gotten a "too salty" comment.

I use rub from Larry Randolph of Smokin in the Dark. He is consistent winner w/ KCBS (I believe top 10 overall last year) He's got three different varieties. Check him out- www.smokininthedark.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back