RIB HELP?

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
hey guys, a buddy and I bought a whole pig and had it all slaughtered and processed. We are going to do a smoke today with some small butts and a couple racks of ribs. The problem is, the rib racks look huge- at least 10 inches across. When the pig was processed, did they just not cut the ribs to separate the spares from the back? I am not sure I have a tool to cut them, will I be able to smoke the racks as is?

Smoke on

Hunter

Wow, so you have whole ribs that are 10" x (however long). You could certainly try rolling them and cooking them on the lower rack(remove upper rack). If you've got something to space a rack 1/2 way in between where the lower and upper racks normally go, that would probably be better.

You may have been given an Old Hog. I was screwed over once. I bought 100lbs of spare ribs and no matter what I did the meat was tough and just didnt taste good. After learning more about the cuts of meat and a trip to a butcher I trust he told me the hog was old based on the size of the spares I showed him. He advised me not to go back.

Good Luck

Here is a picture of mine.
Problem Spares

These were some of the smallest racks I could use. 10+ inches across.

Back