Rib glaze advise

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I have never mopped or glazed ribs before, but Jeff ribs look great. Iv'e always just smoked em. Sometimes 3-2-1, sometimes not. I would like to learn more about glazing and mopping. Anyone have some advice?

Danny Gaulden's Modified Rib Glaze 5-10-2003

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar -- to 1/3 c

Posted by Danny on May 10, 2003 at 15:18:33:

Your pork will turn out with that deep, shiny, burnt cherry look, and the mustard is enough for flavoring, without turning the meat yellow.

All ingredients need to be mixed at room temperature to prevent separation. Heat until it gets to a simmer and stir a few times during the process. Allow to rest until cool, for this makes it thicken and stick to the meat better. Enjoy.

Apply to ribs IMMEDIATELY after taking them off the pit. One heavy glaze will do. Use a pastry brush.
If using glaze on butts, loins, or tenderloins, apply a couple of times about 20 minutes or so before removing meat from pit, then once again after meat is off. This is if you are cooking indirect, not over direct heat.

I mix the ingredients in a jar, put it in the microwave and use the "cup of coffee" setting

Yup, Danny's glaze!

I've done it now twice and it's Great!

On my last cook I actually started applying it for the last hour of cooking (about once every 15 min) Turned out better than just one application at the very end IMO.

I also use his rub, and LOVE IT!

Danny's Pork Spare Rib Rub & Sauce

Anton

Back