Rib Emergency

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My smoker was borrowed this weekend and because of unforseen circumstances will not be returned by the game tonight.

I have a pile of baby back ribs that I was planning on smoking and the time has come that I am going to have to cook them somewhere.

Should I just put the BRITU rub and do them in the oven at 250 for a few hours then hit them with the sauce and finish them on the grill?

Alton Brown had a braising method he used once that looked decent.

Any suggestions?

You loaned out your WSM???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'd loan out my wife before I'd let someone borrow my BBQer! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif LOL

Okay, never mind that, first dig a big hole in the back yard, fill it with hot wood coals and a coupla sticks of unburnt, get a grate - anything - the rack outta the oven, prop it up over the coals with some bricks - anything - the kids bicycle, and throw the ribs on, take a few straight shots of scotch, tequila - anything - bourbon, and repeat after me, "I'll never loan out my WSM, I'll never loan out my WSM" - whew just averted disaster!
Just kidding!

Borrow someone else's or use the kettle or a big clay flower pot(empty, of course) and the oven rack. Please DO NOT resort to the crockpot /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

In such a pinch-- hope never to be there myself-- I'd try the Alton Brown recipe, if for no reason other than his instructions are usually well-detailed.

If you have a kettle grill, just set it up as an indirect heat cooker, which is essentially a poor man's version of a smoker. I use that because I still don't own a WSM. (Christmas is comming... christmas is comming...)

It will be much less stable than the WSM, but worth a shot.

Hey Ben,

Please don't take offense to folks reactions to loaning out your smoker, but that mental picture is just too, too much to bear.

I have used Alton's recipe in the oven and it turned out quite good. Add some butter and flour to the liquid from the foil pouch in a saucepan and you have a pretty good gravy.

Oops, gravy is said alot in the South because we have cat-head biscuits with everything.

I meant sauce. <whew, that was close...>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back