Reviews on BBQ Sauce Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
I need/want to buy a good book on making bbq sauces. Its time to create my own sauce since I'm having fun in competition, but haven't been happy with my doctored up store-bought sauces. I'm torn between the Paul Kirk Championship Sauce book and the BBQ Bible Sauce book. Which is better? I have taken the Paul Kirk class and frankly, I was turned off by Mr. Kirk because of his (IMHO) extreme arrogance. But, I will buy his book if its the best.

Dave
Paul's book is a good one and I do have the BBQ Bible but I'm finding that doctored sauces is a not a bad way to go. Start out with a good one, KC Masterpiece or Texas Rib Rangers are two good choices.
Jim

Dave,
I really enjoy Steve Raichlins Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades. I don't have the Paul Kirk book, so I can't compare it. I have made many of the sauces and rubs in this book and all have been quite excellent! The recipes are simple (combine ingredients...heat)..you may however need to mail order some ingredients, but there are handy web links in the back of the book.

-Matt

I know the urge to buy a book is strong I have 1000's in my house. But for this I would start with recipes you find on the web. Make up any that sound good to you. Also read the ingredient list of store bought sauces you like. Then keep super detailed notes, I used a spread sheet. Make small changes and after awhile you will dial in what you like. Using a 10th of a gram scale is more accurate the measuring by volume. Always use fresh spices.
HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back