Review of Paul Kirk Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Jones

TVWBB Fan
I took the Paul Kirk class given in Pasadena, California on February 9th, and since there's been a lot of discussion re: the relative merit's of taking one of Paul's classes, I thought I'd post a general class description and a few thoughts while their still fresh on my mind.

The class begins at 7:00 a.m., and the first thing done is everyone fires up their cookers so they'll be ready when we put on the first meat to be cooked, which was brisket (flats only due to time constraints). There was everything from gigantic Klose pits to Weber kettles there, and I counted 15 Bullets (including mine).

When the class began, we were broken up into 2-person teams. Paul had made up a brisket rub and a pork butt rub the night before, and gave a small bag full to each team. He showed us how to separate the brisket point from the flat, and each team was then given a brisket to carve, season, and put on the grill.

Pork Butt was next, and after demonstrating how to trim the fat off of one, each team again was given one to work on. A similar demonstration on butterflying a chicken was given later on, and again each team got to work on a bird after that.

Paul then gave an informative lecture on assembling rubs, which each team was then required to do prior to putting chicken and ribs on to smoke. The ribs were baby backs which had already been skinned (Paul definitely removes the membrane), although it was my impression that at some classes they use spares and let the students remove the membrane.

Paul then made (and gave a bunch of tips on making) a pile of sausage, and each team took some and put it on their smokers. This was done just for fun and wasn't judged later.

Around 3:30 we began judging chicken. I won't go into a bunch of detail about the judging process, but it was a great experience to see how it works.

Prior to each meat we judged, Paul showed us how he sliced and presented each one.

The rest of the day was spent presenting and judging the other three meats we had all cooked. My team got a 6th place out of 21 teams in Pork Butt, which wasn't bad for a pair of first timers. Our chicken was a disaster (our rub was too salty), our brisket dried out, and although I loved our ribs we didn't place in that category. When I asked Paul about our brisket, which was dry even though it only got to 175 deg., he said, "Sometimes there's just no moisture to keep in them." He also suggested cooking them at a slightly higher temperature in order to seal in the juices.

In between all of the class items I mention above, Paul took a lot of time to just answer general BBQ and competition questions, and that may have been the most valuable part of the class.

I would say that anyone who has the chance should definitely take this class. It is, as has been said here before, a way to get years of experience in 12 hours. Even though I felt pretty good about my ability to produce good barbecue before taking this class, I now feel I could now confidently cook for a large group and even compete without feeling intimidated.

Rick Jones

We're still working on dates and locations for having a Paul Kirk class here in the SF Bay Area somtime this year.

If you're interested, or you know anyone else who might be, feel free to drop me a note. I'll include you on updates as we have them.

Henry Joe Peterson
San Francisco
hjp@yahoo.com

Hey, Rick.

I was there, too. I guess the class was pretty good. Although for my personal taste, the class focused too much on competitions. I was hoping there'd be more focus on cooking barbecue and less on presenting and judging. I don't compete and don't expect to in the future so the second half wasn't as interesting to me.

I also wish Paul came around to the various students and watched what they were doing and corrected some of the mistakes. I have all his videos (which are great) so I've "seen" the class before. I was hoping this experience would be a little more "hands on" on his part.

That said, I have to admit I had a good time. It was fun mingling with the other 40 students. And teaming up with Tom Chilton was a blast. We laughed alot throughout the day. And we had a wild trip to Smart and Final to buy beer and apple juice to spray our brisket. (It must've worked because my team came took first place in brisket).

So, in conclusion, the class was a fun time and I'd certainly recommend it for competition BBQ cooks but I'd give it a qualified recommendation to non competition cooks.

Bill

Myself and others help out at Paul's classes up in the Pacific NW and have for a few years.
The class sizes have grown to the point where one person can't help everyone.
We will help with fire control questions and can clarification of the techinques the Paul uses.
Paul was one of the orginal competitors and founders of KCBS and the classes have always leaned towards competing, but how to pick out the best pieces of meat and on building rubs is great info.
Jim

Bill,

I have to agree that the class was tailored toward competitive cooks, but I also felt that since the basic point was to prepare and serve top-notch barbecue, it was still a very valuable learning experience for me.

Paul did mention that if anyone wanted him to come out to where they were cooking he'd be happy to. I didn't ask him to either, although it would have been nice if he had wandered around more to look in on some of the less experienced of us. As it was, several of the more experienced competition bbq'ers were more than happy to help us out.

Have to agree that a good time was had by all. It was great fun to hang out with 40-odd people with the same interest.

rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back