results of first smoke.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
My WSM is no longer a Virgin! Just took the salmon off, its delicious. I will say tho that it is not what I was after. As I stated before I wanted a salty/very dry salmon for a good appetizer/snack. It wasn't the WSM(of course)it was me. I think I know where I went wrong. I have actually smoked ONE time before this. On halloween I had my dads lhur-jensen(read:el-cheapo)little chef smoker. I threw some salmon on that had brined over night in water/iodized salt/and sugar. All that smoker uses is a hotplate with a little skillet on it for the wood. I used corn cobs when I did it. I didn't take notes when I did it but I remember it smoked for about 2 hours with smoke pouring out of every crevass the whole cooking time. When I took the salmon out it looked VERY dry, almost dehydrated and brittle. It had an excellent smoke flavor. THIS is what I was going for. Only thing was that it was TOO salty,(I also forgot to rinse after brining) and some parts of the fish looked very similar to a cold-smoked fish(raw-like). I ate it all tho /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . So when I compare the two cooks this is what I come up with and will fix when I try it again tommorrow /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Shouldn't have used iodized salt, I will continue to use Kosher. The lhur-jensen is at least HALF the size of the WSM and I think I used less cobs on the WSM than in the lhur-jensen. Next time I will keep the smoke pouring out of the WSM. I will brine salmon over night as the longer brining will make for a saltier taste...ummm right?? One thing I'm not sure of is what temp. I KNOW that lhur-jensen couldn't have gotten hot at all. Please let me here the feedback.....

Ron

I just broke mine in with a 12 lb turkey using kingsford, apple wood and the Minion method. Unbelievably good maybe the most moist and flavorful turkey I've ever had. These little bullets are great and easy to hold temps for a long time.

I don't think I said it well enough in my first post....THE SALMON WAS UNBELIEVVABLE!!! I just tore into a good sized fillet and it was moist and delicious!! Crispy on the outside and oh so tender on the inside. Lacking a smoke flavor but as I said that was my fault. Definately the best salmon I have ever cooked and probably even the best salmon I've ever had. Will definately be cooking this recipe for friends/family...

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back