Results of first Brisket on WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
Eeryone was very helpful with my questions on the WSM and I thought I would post the outcome of my first effort with it.

I smoked a 8.79# cryovac packed brisket from Albertson's. I trimmed the excess fat down to about a 1/4" or a little more and got down to 8#. I used some Pitts and Spitts Rub that I had on hand and let the rubbed brisket stand for two hours before cooking.

I set up the WSM using the Minion Method and added 6 smallish chunks of mesquite sor smoke wood. The WSM read 240 thru the lid in about 30 min. and I put the brisket on.

The WSM maintained 250 to 260 after an hour for the remainder of the cook time. I roughly followed the Midnight Cook instructions here on the VWBB and cooked for a total of 9hrs. It was 199 degrees internal at the thickest part of the flat.

Results: 1}good smoke ring,1/4". 2)moist and fork tender -- too tender actually.

Next time I will try to find a better quality brisket this one was really fatty. I suspect that is the reason for the moistness even after letting it go to 199 degrees. I will keep the WSM down to the 240 degree range next time. I may try a little more smoke wood also and a spicier rub (suggestions?). I'll damn sure line that water pan next time too!

Thanks again for the help.
After

Briskets are a tricky animal to cook-to me anyway-finally threw a way the thermometer and decided to just use fork test-when it slides in w/o resistance it is done-I try to cook with a grill temp of about 275 and usually figger about 1.5 hrs /lb-ymmv of course
Buzz in Wis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back