Results from grinding my own hamburger

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
I bought 2 chuck roasts and ground them up yesterday evening. I just put salt and pepper on the burgers right before putting them on the grill. I could not believe the difference in taste and how juicy they were. My wife who usually only eats 1 burger ate 2. When grinding brisket does it have enough fat content or do you need to add beef fat.

Bones

Awesome Steven glad it tasted great! Any pics?

I have never grinded my own burgers but with your brisket question I have heard people say if its a full packer you have enough fat content but don't go by me
icon_smile.gif

When the term full packer is used what does it mean? When I go to the store hunting for a full packer what will it be called on the package?

Bones

Full Packer means the whole brisket (usually in the 12 pound range) that is usually sealed in cryovac packaging.

This large cut can be subdivided into the flat and the point, and is often sold in these smaller portions. If so, they are usually packaged on styrofoam plates & cling wrapped and often trimmed of fat.

@ Harmons in SLC, UT, we can choose between Ground Round, Ground Chuck, & unspecified, all of which are ground in their meat department. I usually go for chuck.

Originally posted by Steven Simpkins:
Why do they recommend not using chuck roast? The way my burgers turned out it is hard to beat.

Steve

I watched the vid earlier and it had something to do with distribution of the fat in the chuck (not as good as their recommended meats) and also the texture that you're left with after the grinding process...or in their case, the "processing" since they freeze the meat and use a food processor to do the "grinding".

I guess I should mention that they use a skillet on top of the stove to cook the patty. Maybe your method is better suited for the grill? Might be an interesting test to make some of the ATK patty's and try on the gill.

Originally posted by Clint:
@ Harmons in SLC, UT, we can choose between Ground Round, Ground Chuck, & unspecified, all of which are ground in their meat department. I usually go for chuck.

I am with you Clint, they have good meat there at Harmons. I always get my ground chuck there. One day I will try grinding my own, but they have good quality so I havent tried, yet ...

Congrats on the great results. I have thought of doing this myself, but haven't taken the time. My parents always picked out chuck roasts at the grocery store and had the meat person grind it there. It's the best way to go.

I remember the good ol' days! Growing up my grandmother would go to the neighborhood butcher shop, choose the meat and have it ground. The flavor was so intense that my uncle and I would snatch chunks of it raw (steak tartare). The way meat comes these days, no flavor and a good chance of getting e. coli!! SIGGHHH. Feedlot grain feeding has destroyed beef......

I agree with you 100% Bill, i remember when we use to kill our own steers and hogs at the ranch, talk about flavor did not need rubs just salt and pepper was enough.

Back