Restoring the family Weber Red Head

Ed, I'm happy to hear they arrived! I don't know how long they will last, being that they are just printed onto sticker paper. I sprayed mine with clear coat before applying it to the grill frame, and hoping that might prolong the life of it. I also keep my grill covered. It spent it's entire life uncovered under an open patio for the past 25 years. I guess time will tell!

The durawood swing work table came in last week. I picked up another 8 foot 1"x2" cedar board and planed it down to about 3/4", using the original durawood slats as a thickness guide. After cutting the slats I sanded them all down with 500 grit sandpaper to smooth out the surfaces and applied lacquer to protect and enhance the wood grain. The table came out great, and the extra work space will be a nice treat to grilling.

IMAG3164_BURST002_zpsiynqazc6.jpg

IMAG3161_BURST002_zpsmolxk3fe.jpg

IMAG3163_BURST002_zpsfmdq6nlo.jpg

Before the table came in, I pulled out all of the flavorizer bars and the grates and cleaned them up real good. They may not be shiny, but they still have a lot of life left in them!

IMAG3167_BURST002_zpsqvr9fyyu.jpg

Now to figure out what to grill for it's 25th birthday, coming up on the 29th of this month! lol

You did a great job on that wood! I like the "original" look of the new handle. Have you considered making and selling those? I might need one!

Thank you!

Mserke, the handle isn't perfect not as nice as the original in terms of quality. I need to source some wood with the same or nearly the same color and grain as the cedar, it seems to be very much the same as the original, but being such a soft wood it is hard to work with.

I just finished bbq chicken. I had forgotten how great this grill does chicken, and in 20 minutes! Moist! And with the grates cleaned up real good and the grill nice and hot It seared it perfectly!

Lovin' the grill!

Hi Dave, great job. My weber 900 NG came with wood slats & handle, sprayed gray. Like to sand down & add a finish, what type/brand lacquer u use? Anybody know difference between teak oil & using a lacquer. Thanks

Back