restoring old performer (red)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
I picked up a red stainless performer yesterday, but it needs a little bit of work.

the ash pan/ring is no longer attached because the cross bar rusted and is now completely gone.

The ash sweepers are toast as well.

I'm debating replacing the gas ignition system as it looks pretty rusty (almost as if the guy let it sit open in the rain.... for the last 16 years)

I don't know if i should just replace the ash ring with the new style (and cut the little slots in the leg sockets) or if I should try to find someone to fabricate a new cross bar.

I'm pleased that the lid is flawless. No chips or scratches. The bowl has one dime-sized chip, but since its a performer the chip isn't noticeable.

I only paid $40 for it, and it was less than 3 minutes from my house.

pic from ad (which didn't mention 'weber' at all):
red-stainless-weber-performer.jpg

Can you order the part you need from Weber? I have seen the schematic for that grill on there. Might be worth a call.

Brian

i don't think so.

last time i talked with them, i fibbed about needing a new OTG style ash pan/ring for 'an old mastertouch' and they were reluctant to sell me one because that cross bar wasn't available anymore.

It's possible that they've changed their stance on it though!

One of the members on here, Terry Rayburn, had someone make some of these bars in the early part of this year. I don't know if he sold all of them or not. They were very well made.

Wayne

after looking at the old ash catcher and ring, i've decided to simply upgrade to the newer style.

the older catchers aren't as nice as the new ones, plus the one for this grill is a bit rusty.

plus 18 bucks for a crossbar vs 40 bucks for a whole new ash catcher and ring

cutting a couple little notches with a dremel is fairly easy.

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
after looking at the old ash catcher and ring, i've decided to simply upgrade to the newer style.

the older catchers aren't as nice as the new ones, plus the one for this grill is a bit rusty.

plus 18 bucks for a crossbar vs 40 bucks for a whole new ash catcher and ring

cutting a couple little notches with a dremel is fairly easy.

There's a performer I'm looking at that needs a new ash catcher as well. How do you upgrade to the newer ash catcher on the older performers. I know you said it needs notches with a dremel but where? Did you happen to see a post somewhere with pictures? I'll keep looking around the forum but if you know of a thread please let me know. Thanks.

there's been a few threads about it, but they've probably been archived by this site's overly aggressive and inconsistent archiving process.

The new style ring has springlike tabs that click into the gap between the welds on the leg sockets.

On all new grills, the leg sockets are consistently welded so the new style ash ring will snap right into place.

On the older ones, the leg sockets aren't always lined up perfectly for the new style ash ring.

Using a dremel tool, cut a 5." notch where the tab needs to click in.

I can take pictures when I do mine again, or I can take some pics of ones I've already done.

that looks awesome ashish!

however, i'm a limp wristed computer programmer/online marketer guy - i can fabricate a wire harness, or a code library... but not metal
icon_smile.gif

Troy - trust me, I'm not any better.
icon_smile.gif

The bar was really easy to make. Got the stock from Lowes (bought a little extra in case I messed it up) and then it was just some fancy bending!

One benefit of moving on to the newer style is you will never have to replace bar again. That's what made the decision for me.

Then I went to go drill the slots and they were already there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back