Rest ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here Ms. Rita.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Rita,

As the others have said you really don't have to but I gotta tell ya this. I made a couple of racks of spares using the always popular 3-2-1-1 method. The last 1 being the in a cooler while traveling to a B-Day party for my cousin.

I had to have one rib before we left, just to make sure they were o.k. and it was very good. (I was drinking Stoli and peach tea so thats what I used for the "2" part of the cook.)

The ribs after sitting in the cooler were even better! It seems lke the flavors of the rub and the sauce melded together to produce a really good result.

Just another variation.

Al

My ribs are pretty good when 1st cooked, but when reheating the next day, they're always better...Does 18-24 hours count as resting? Of course, they do rest for a while (foil covered)before being refrigerated..

I've tried the 3-2-1 method and I personally didn't care for it. I recently smoked a rack of spares, removed them from th epit, placed them in foil with a quick spritz of apple juice, and sealed them tight. After sitting about 20-30 minutes they were PERFECT! Tender, but not too soft, and the flavor was so good I never bothered adding any sauce!

The only rest they get by me is the walk from the WSM to the dinner table. It's seem that's all they ever needed!
icon_biggrin.gif

Nick P.

They probably are better if in foil for a while.

Technically if you have a large mass of meat wrapped in foil and in a cooler it's not resting, it's still cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I let them rest long enough to be able to handle without burning fingers or palates. About 10 minutes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually burn my fingers and palate.
icon_biggrin.gif

REPORT:
I knew I could rely on good input here. Thanks everyone for your generous comments. They were really helpful.

I've always done the loin back ribs before but I needed to expand my horizons and try spares at least once. I just did my first cook of KC spares and I have to say that they were moister, meatier, and more flavorful than any loin backs that I've ever cooked. I didn't foil them during the cook.

As several of you noted, they were delicious right off the cooker and even better after "resting" for 30 minutes in foil. And even better yet the next day - still moist.

I wanted to reheat them on my grill over low heat today but remnants of hurricane...I've lost track of the latest onslaught this season
icon_eek.gif
...yes, Jeanne, gave us such a downpour that I wasn't going to try swimming them to my grill. Thank goodness the crik is well below the house. I could go kayaking out there right now.

Anyway...I sprayed them with apple juice and heated them for 2 minutes per side on the top rack of a 450*F broiler...just right. For broilers that have only one "on" setting, you'd have to lower the rack.

Thanks to all for my "10" cook,
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Rita could you share the details of your cook? How big were your ribs? Temperature and time. etc? Thanks in advance.

Hi there, Jeff. My method was pretty much the formula you see posted in the forums. If anyone has any alternate suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

The spares were one package (8 pounds) of 2 slabs from Costco. Those were the smallest they had that day. I trimmed them KC style as per Chris's instructions here on the website with a little of Paul Kirk's ideas (from Championship BBQ), essentially the same. The trick is to cut the tips off in a straight line so the whole rack is the same width. The shorter ribs will have some of the tips attached but it was no problem in the eating.

Naturally, I used the Minion Method for startup. I rolled them with their ends barely touching and put them on the top grate with the skirt pieces and put the rib tips on the bottom grate.

I cooked them at 225*F, spraying with apple juice and turning them at the halves. They weren't quite ready at 5 hours but were perfect at 6 hours. Sprayed with more apple juice and wrapped them tightly in foil for 30-45 minutes.

For a first cook of spares, I was very pleased. They were not a bit fatty and just right in tenderness. Much meatier flavor than back ribs and I think I now favor the spares over the back ribs, something I wasn't expecting. I hope the next cook goes as well and that it wasn't a
fluke!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Best,
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back