Reporting in on my salmon cook

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone. I smoked three great big salmon filets from Costco yesterday, with excellent results. I used one chimney of charcoal -- not a full chimney and about 6 oz. of alder chunks. I did use water in the pan.

To prepare the salmon, I first salted the filets and let them sit for about three hours. Then I rubbed them with brown sugar and sprinkled them with freshly ground pepper and refrigerated them overnight. In the morning, I rinsed them and let them dry in front of a fan until they were tacky to the touch. I got that recipe when I was calling around to find alder wood. The man I talked to said that "An old Indian guy" had given him the recipe.

The salmon cooked at about 185 for about 2-1/2 hours and it came out moist and tasty. The kitties were thrilled when I accidentally dropped a bite on the kitchen floor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff, I didn't do your recipe this time but I definitely want to try it in the future.

Next weekend I'm doing three pork butts using the Renown Mr. Brown recipe. One butt will go in the freezer, one will be devoured at a birthday dinner at our house, and the third one is for a friend at work.

Speaking of freezing -- I believe I've read here that the consensus is to not pull the butt before freezing it. Correct?

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back