Replacing the electric starter on a Genesis E330 - Should I get name brand or generic?

John Franklin

Just looking to see what others have done. The starter on an older model E330 has conked out, it's not under warranty (I called to check) so I have to buy the replacement. The Weber one is $50 while a generic no name knock off is $19. Wondering what others have done in this situation. I could get a box of long stick matches for a few bucks but I figure that is too cheap and since the grill is going to be used a bunch I should get the starter functional again.

Check the contact strips on the button and clean them. Quite often that is the issue as these have to make contact with the spring to complete the circuit. Also check the battery contacts in the button and the bottom of the ignitor pack. Worth a shot to save a few bucks.

Yeah, try to fix what you have first, but if that doesn't do it, I would not hesitate to buy generic.

Welcome to the forum, dude.

A couple things to think about.
I would totally look at generic because all this thing has to do is install correctly and make sparks. Also, because the grill is older as you say, who cares if it has a collection of interesting parts making it work? Its not like it's under warranty.

If you buy Weber OEM parts, you support Weber and they get that, appreciate that, and will help us all out by providing more parts.
On the other hand, if you buy generic, you support generic and they get that, appreciate that, and will help us all out by providing more generic parts.

I can't speak to the specifics of this part, but sometimes generic parts must be engineered to meet the specifications of like five different manufacturers, instead of just one. The generic part might just be better.

If you go the other way, I would suggest a long grill lighter for like $2 before getting the long matches.

Back