Replacing propane tank

JSaus

TVWBB Wizard
The biggest complaint I have between my old Silver B and my new cabinet model Weber is how hard it is to change tanks. Being over 70 with a bad back, I cringe when I see the scale nearing empty. On the Silver B, it was simple and easy to hang the tank on the outside. Trying to hoist a 40 pound tank through a door below the control panel at arms length and hook it on the scale is a full workout. My tank was nearly empty and I decided I might as well clean the grill while I was at it. Then it dawned on me-why not take out the flavorizor bars and drip pan and reach in from the top? It made the job a lot easier-just set the tank in the hole and reach between the burners to lift it in place.

Anyone else tried this?

The biggest complaint I have between my old Silver B and my new cabinet model Weber is how hard it is to change tanks. Being over 70 with a bad back, I cringe when I see the scale nearing empty. On the Silver B, it was simple and easy to hang the tank on the outside. Trying to hoist a 40 pound tank through a door below the control panel at arms length and hook it on the scale is a full workout. My tank was nearly empty and I decided I might as well clean the grill while I was at it. Then it dawned on me-why not take out the flavorizor bars and drip pan and reach in from the top? It made the job a lot easier-just set the tank in the hole and reach between the burners to lift it in place.

Anyone else tried this?
That gonna be fun on a hot swap :D

There's no issue with balance. I can lift up the left hand side but it isn't "tippy" and leaning on the RH side will likely bend the side table before the left side lifts up.

As far as the scale, yeah a Silver or Gold scale gets the decal set correctly, but TBH I never really look at it and just keep a spare tank on hand.

If you get an extra tank holder for the right side, your current one will work on the left to store an extra tank.

I'll bet someone here has an extra tank holder you could pickup for cheap.

1724165778290.png

Not being anxious to drill holes in my new E-335, and pushing 76 years with issues like the original poster, I’d still hold interest in ideas proven to get the empty tank out and, more so, a full one back in with less physical effort. I don’t think there’s space enough between burners to move it through the top.

Incidentally Bruce, the new grill replaces one nearly identical to the one on your profile icon. Two of my disappointments with our new one right off the bat was needing a new style valved tank and the difficulty trying to hang it inside the cabinet. The old one was getting hard enough to mount as I (and it) aged, but now seems a relatively easy deal compared to the new one. And to my dismay I couldn’t find a family member that wanted or could use the old one, so will have to find a buyer I reckon.

Back