Replacing my Summit Gold D6 Firebox - burner tubes are stuck?

Kris Pfeiffer

TVWBB Member
Hi, all.

I received my replacement firebox from Weber last year. Now that it's getting a little warmer I pulled the grill into the garage and started working on it.

As I've experienced before, few bolts haven't been broken as I've tried to remove them. The lid cover pins were essentially welded to the frame. But those are surmountable issues.

I've managed to remove one of the burner tubes, but the other 5 remain stuck in the back of the firebox. The thin tab at the end of the burner tube passes through a steel slot in the back, and that slot is rusted in a nasty way. I blasted them with PBBlaster a few times and they still don't budge. I've yet to pull at them really hard because I don't want to break them.

Any tips?
Thanks,
Kris

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask - and I haven't searched yet - but hey, I'll ask.

Assuming I can get the burner tubes out ok - and that I'll clean them out, etc. - what's the main reason these things fail? These are stainless, so their exterior looks pretty damn good.

The tubes insert into a stainless rail at the rear of the firebox. If you pull the manifold out of the way, you should be able to remove the entire "burner cartridge" as a single entity. Then remove some of the rust from the end of the burner tube in order to dislodge from the stainless rail. (the stainless rail is a U-channel shape comprised of three sides of a rectangle, open in the front for the manifold)

Back