Replacing a garage door opener

My garage door is a 1 inch or 1 1/4 thick insulated door it is pretty heavy my wife struggles to get it open, when i was showing her how it works when power goes out, i was going to buy a battery back up but went with a Genie whole house power generator instead as food is expensive, and heat and AC are nice when the power goes out.
Heavy doors with correct springs and proper adjustment should open without alot of force.

You are mostly right, but a 18 foot door can get heavy for initial lift up then the springs kick in.
I'm not a garage door installer, and I don't play one on TV but It sounds like the springs are not matched to the weight, and height of the door.

You should be able to lift the door from any location with one hand.

YMMV

Well, I could not program the Homelink on my 2011 Toyota Highlander to work with this new opener :( So I had to spend another $38 to get one of the Homelink "Repeaters" they sell to match older cars to newer openers. I just hope our 2020 RAV4 Ltd programs to it 🤞

1706660461714.png

Well, the guys finished the job. All I can say is it's amazing. Whisper quiet, fast and smoooooth. No more clunking and grinding :D
congrats Larry.

Did you install MyQ ? I like that I can set auto-close times in case someone forgets and leaves it open.

congrats Larry.

Did you install MyQ ? I like that I can set auto-close times in case someone forgets and leaves it open.
The opener came with MyQ and battery backup already there. Linked up to my new S24 Ultra like a champ. Can't say so much for my Dexcom G7 CGM glucose monitor :( Will have to fill next scrip with the Freestyle Libre 3. Claims to work just not all functions like low glucose alarm but I'll live with it until full compatibility

Well, I could not program the Homelink on my 2011 Toyota Highlander to work with this new opener

Unfortunately on my car, Homelink is always on even with the key removed, car locked, security set which means if I leave a car in the driveway, someone can break in and open the garage door, so, I don't use homelink.

Yeah, on MyQ I meant the MyQ app. I think it is a pretty simple app that will alert me when the door opens and closes and was smart enough to tell me something went wrong when my torsion spring broke.

Not sure how I missed this thread
The very cheap, builders grade garage door opener finally died after 19 years last year
The remote that I used died fairly early, and Pammi's died after about 12-13 years. I was able to get her a universal remote for it from Lowe's and it worked fine
Summer of 2022, the garage door opener started acting up. Not closing all the way and going back up, sometimes having to press the button a couple times to get it to operate
I was at a Home Depot around Black Friday 2022, and saw a BF special. A Genie garage door opener, 3/4 HP, with an outside panel to open it from outside and a battery back up, for only $75! Surprise, Pammi!
My buddy who's more carpentry inclined than I am was busy with work stuff the next 2 weekends, so I decided to tackle it myself
I watched a couple YouTube videos and was off to the races!
A couple hours to remove the old one and about a day and a half to get the new one installed by myself.
I'm very proud to say that it works like a champ, including all of the safety features!
And it's belt driven, so It's quiet. Unlike the cantankerous, loud chain driven one that came with the house
And I like that on the inside panel, there's a lock to disable the door opener while we're away

Yeah, I have come across a person on Toyota forum who rewired their Homelink to work with the ignition on only. He went in the overhead console and simply moved the power lead to the sunroof. I am lazy and so far have not done it. I guess what's the diff. Because if you don't use HL and use the battery operated remote they're still accessible to a thief

Well I ordered the "bridge" from the Chamberlain Co, Got it installed today. Works like a champ. Other than having one extra little device plugged into the ceiling outlet it's pretty seamless

Back