Replacement vent hints?

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
The movers bent the bowl vent dampers on my WSM. As a result it is running at 265 degrees with all 3 bottom vents as tightly closed as I could get them. My Stoker, set for 225, hasn't come on in several hours. I am going to remove the dampers and reshape them for a better seal. Does anyone have any hints about drilling out the rivets and replacing them with machine screws? Other than "use stainless steel", of course.

It can be done but they may want to spin when you try to drill them. If you drill it and then try to punch the rivet through, probably from the inside, you may also distort the metal outward where the rivet goes through. This will prevent your newly purchased replacement daisy wheels from sealing well. I used an auto body hammer and dolly to coerce it back to position. I had one that still could not be made to seal. Since I always use an ATC and leave the bottom vents closed, I permanently sealed the opening.

I had no issue just drilling out the rivet with a small metal bit. no hammer or any extra help needed to remove it after drilling out the center. Don't recall if I went inside out or outside in. probably the former. once you drill out the head of the rivet the damper basically falls out

Back