Replacement of igniter wire (not igniter itself)

DanS

Looking at my Genesis II, there are four wires that run from the igniter to the little pack down on the inside by the propane tank. Right to where you'd change the battery.
The grill still works, but I have to manually light it - all three burners are fine.
Closer inspection reveals that one of the wires (the white one) is chewed in half, probably from a chipmunk. I'm thinking that this is the one that ignites, since the burners all work when I turn them on with their respective dial.
I see I can buy replacement wires online, but how much of an effort is it to do the replacement myself? I am by no means an electrician...

Looking at my Genesis II, there are four wires that run from the igniter to the little pack down on the inside by the propane tank. Right to where you'd change the battery.
The grill still works, but I have to manually light it - all three burners are fine.
Closer inspection reveals that one of the wires (the white one) is chewed in half, probably from a chipmunk. I'm thinking that this is the one that ignites, since the burners all work when I turn them on with their respective dial.
I see I can buy replacement wires online, but how much of an effort is it to do the replacement myself? I am by no means an electrician...
I've done a similar repair using a crimp connection and then covering the whole repair with heat shrink tubing (which may or may not be actually totally necessary).

I basically just:
- cut the existing wire in half,
- then used wire strippers to expose about a centimeter of wire on each end
- slid the heat shrink tubing onto one of the wires to stage it for future use
- inserted each end into the crimp connection (pink in my photo below)
- crimped the connection with pliers or whatever
- I think the ends of the crimp connection are heat-shrink too, so I probably used a lighter or heat-gun to shrink those first
- slid the heat shrink tubing over the repaired section
- heat up the tubing with a lighter or heat gun to shrink it into place

I'm not an electrician either, but this worked fine for me in the past.
If anyone else thinks this is bad advice, feel free to correct anything that is dangerous or whatever.

tempImagecfCMOB.jpg

they are not too hard to replace. Buy a new ignition set Just take pictures of the old ones before you replace them. The wires have color coded ends

I would try patching the wire first. The white wire is likely the ground wire and would support all burners not working if it is broken.

Back