Replacement legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_rich

TVWBB Member
Legs on my 26.75" OTG are starting to collapse. Any ideas on where I can buy a cart or heavy duty replacement legs?

Hey mike how old is your grill? I replaced the legs on my 26 from 1986. I just used the legs and triangle from a new 22. I just replaced the wheels with 8" inch wheels. It is very solid on it's wheels. The slightly smaller triangle makes the legs tighter.

Well, long story short is that my grill is kept at my cottage. We had a group use the cottage last weekend and decided grilling in the driveway wasn't good enough and dragged the grill full of charcoal down a bumpy path and on to my beach.
I arrived at the cottage this weekend to find all three legs starting to collapse and the grill leaning drastically.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike_rich:
Well, long story short is that my grill is kept at my cottage. We had a group use the cottage last weekend and decided grilling in the driveway wasn't good enough and dragged the grill full of charcoal down a bumpy path and on to my beach.
I arrived at the cottage this weekend to find all three legs starting to collapse and the grill leaning drastically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NOT COOL! That would make me see RED!!!
icon_mad.gif
Does Weber make a replacement kit for the 26'er? @Brian, do you have a pic of you '86 '26'er with the 22.5 Legs?

Just spoke with Weber. They need the 2 letters from the lid of the kettle on the damper. Problem is, the grill is at my cottage and I won't be there until Friday. I purchased the grill in 2010 from a Sears' website. Does anyone know what the letters are?

Is it the legs or leg sockets that are bent? Reason I ask is there was a post from another Chicago member awhile ago who had the same problem on the 26". He wheeled his across a park or sumpthin and the leg(s) sockets bent.
I would take a pic and contact Weber CS.
P.S. 2010 is AD

Tim

Just contacted weber. New legs on the way. Awesome customer service. Any ideas to reinforce the legs so they're more sturdy?

Mine do that on the 22.5" OTG occasionally. I always wheel it in and out of the garage. I'm plannin on adding a few large fender washers on each side of the flattened section for more rigidity.
Edit:
You might have to add a pc of Aluminum angle iron or C/channel stock as a spreader. I added a wood shelf to the t-brace for mine.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike_rich:
Any ideas to reinforce the legs so they're more sturdy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A large hardwood club. Use it to beat common sense into idiots at the cabin.

That aside, I dont have any ideas on how to reinforce the legs, but how about buying a spare set, just in case you have problems in the future.

I like Tims club idea!
icon_wink.gif
You could also make a set out of conduit or some other heavier metal tubing. While your at it get some steel wheels from a hardware store. Those plastic ones are rediculous on a 26'r.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
You could also make a set out of conduit or some other heavier metal tubing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know the diameter of the 26" legs but a standard 22" uses 1" outside diameter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
I arrived at the cottage this weekend to find all three legs starting to collapse and the grill leaning drastically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif
Does Weber make a replacement kit for the 26'er? @Brian, do you have a pic of you '86 '26'er with the 22.5 Legs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is my 26

dsc06255f.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-02-12

dsc06256r.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-02-12

The 26 triangle is only maybe an inch smaller. Just enough to keep the legs a little tighter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:

icon_mad.gif
Does Weber make a replacement kit for the 26'er? @Brian, do you have a pic of you '86 '26'er with the 22.5 Legs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is my 26

dsc06255f.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-02-12

dsc06256r.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-02-12

The 26 triangle is only maybe an inch smaller. Just enough to keep the legs a little tighter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Brian! It matches up nice and looks factory. I've been eying the newer '26'ers for a while now, and I like the old style 8" wheels like on yours much better than the newer "modern" ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Is it the legs or leg sockets that are bent? Reason I ask is there was a post from another Chicago member awhile ago who had the same problem on the 26". He wheeled his across a park or sumpthin and the leg(s) sockets bent.
I would take a pic and contact Weber CS.
P.S. 2010 is AD

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've always had problems wheeling kettles. Now I put a tennis ball over the front leg and push with the wheels in the front. The tennis ball slides and the wheels roll very smoothly, decreasing the chances of bending the legs.

I have been using 3/4" copper tubing cut to the length of each leg. Once cut, I wrap approximately 8 wraps of 2" wide masking tape on each end followed by 2 or 3 more evenly spaced between the ends (enough tape to make a snug fit but still allow the copper pipe to slide into the leg). Then assemble as normal. The legs can be a bit difficult to push into the socket (make sure they are in all the way) but this creates a very snug fit resulting in a solid kettle...no more wobbly legs. I have only been doing this for about a year but so far its holding up well.

I recently replaced the legs on my '60s 18.5'er. It has the thumbscrews and when I put the new legs and wheels on, those original thumbscrews hold the new legs in super tight! Their is no wobble to them at all. My 22.5 also has new legs and one of the wheel legs keeps slipping up and down inside the socket. I am tempted (key word: TEMPTED) to drill pilot holes in the 22.5 sockets and do the old school thumbscrews. I kind of think that Weber should never have gone away from the thumbscrew assemby all those years ago.

A question for Craig or those that know?

Was the thumbscrew assembly otherwise identical to the current legs? In other words, when Weber went away from them, they simply removed the hole and screws and used the same legs relying on friction?

Adding thumbscrews is a good mod if ya have a tap set. I used hex-head self-drilling/tapping screws at all three leg sockets. They be galvanized and easy to remove with a 5/16" nut-driver and a cordless.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back