Replacement for new kingsford?

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
Ok, so from all the noise i have heard about the new kingsford, it sounds that it saves a few minutes while lighting your coals in the chimney, but that is pretty much it, and aside from that, this stuff sucks ***. If i ever meet someone that says they work for kingsford, i am going to immediately kick them in the shins. anyway, what is the consensus on replacement for this newly crappy fuel? I, like all you guys hate refueling. With a water heater blanket on, my WSM would go 20 hours in a 30 knot wind and not need more fuel with the old kingsford. This new crap isnt going to hack it. What are you guys going to buy instead?

Smoke on
wsmsmile8gm.gif

hunter

I converted to lump a while back. Absolutely love the improvement in quality of my cooks.

I did buy some of Sam's choice (it is made by Royal Oak) as reserve. Good stuff, less ash than Kingsford and same burn time.

If Duraflame briqs are available in your area I would give them a try. Jim Minion, as in "Minion Method" is sponsored by them and that probably suggest the product is pretty good. Biggest problem I've heard with it is - avaialability !

Paul

yeah, that's the problem with duraflame. I don't think they are sold anywhere around here. frustrating. I was in a bbq galore the other day and they had a huge stack of duraflame logs. Here was my conversation with them:

ME: You have duraflame logs. Do you ever carry their charcoal.
BBQGALORE: No.
ME: Well, since you have a relationship with them, could you?
ME: Could you call them and ask if they'd send you some?

So, I'm sorta out of options on the duraflame front.

Hunter, to your original question, I haven't quite figured out what my strategy is going to be. I'm hoping to go in on a group buy of some extruded coconut. But in the event that doesn't happen, I'm going to have to search around for some Royal Oak.

Argh...

Adam if you are looking for Royal Oak go back to BBQ Galore and buy the Big Green Egg charcoal. Its made for BGE by Royal Oak. So is the Hasty Bake. BBQ Galore carries both of those brands.

FYI Adam, don't know if this will apply to your area. The Wal-Mart stores in this area have begun carrying Royal Oak lump in 10 lb bags. You might want to check your stores.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
I'm going to have to search around for some Royal Oak.

Argh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adam,
I'm in NorthWest CT (Litchfield County) and the WalMart in Torrington has a HUGE stock of Royal Oak lump. I just bought 2 bags today. Price is $5.27/10#.

I'm happy with the charwood from kingsford at wall mart tastes ok burn time is good but a tad sparky for high temp use so far for me.

Aloha,

Greg

I'm talking briquettes here..

Duraflame is best if you have a distibutor in your area- my experience is 33% less ash, 20% of the old Kford burn time. Also, 20lb bag for $3.00 at Kroger.

I've recently tried Royal Oak and got 20 hours @225 on a full ring MM burn. RO ashes like old Kford, but burns like it, too.

I've tried Nature-Glo and it was nice. I don't think the cook times were as long, but still a nice flavor and pretty consistant heat.

I e-mailed Duraflame to see where their charcoal briqs were available in my zip code and they replied they were not available anywhere in Florida.
icon_frown.gif

Paul

Here's what Duraflame's website map "says" about outlets. Not every outlet carries all Duraflame products - check individual websites:

National Retailers:
Ace Hardware
Costco
Home Depot
Rite Aid
Sam's Club
Target
Wal-Mart
7 Eleven

In Florida:

AAFES (military only)
Kash n' Karry