Repair. Replace. Or???

ChrisWolf

I’m in a quandary.

Do I repair my grill with new grates, new bottom shelf, new grease pan? Or do I replace with a new Genesis with the sear burner and lights built into the handles? Or do I just flip burgers on my Q200 and get a Traeger?IMG_6713.jpeg

I'd lean towards refurbishing it.

The bottom shelf is an easy fix with new Z-bars. Are the slats durawood ? ( Plastic ) ? Those last a long time so you'll just need new Z-bars.
Someone will come along with a source for the Z-bars. I don't have one at my finger tips.

You mentioned "grease pan"
if it is just the piece on the bottom slat area, those are not very expensive and available.
if you need to replace the slide out bottom pan under the cook box, those are harder to find.

Grates are not very expensive nor are complete sets of flavorizer bars if you need those.

I'm guessing $100 to $200 and you'll have a grill that is better than anything available for $500 or less.

I think that grill has definitely degraded to the point where you can justify getting a new grill if that is what you want. On the other hand, it could be fixed up pretty easily also and for a lot less money than the cost of a shiny new one. RcPlanebuyer still sells stainless steel replacement Z brackets for these grills on eBay if you decide to go that way.

As long as the frame is not roached out, you don't have a real "issue" there. That thing can be refurbed to a decent daily driver pretty easily. Also FWIW from what I have seen of Traeger they're WAY over priced. Also many don't know but much of their lineup is made by Z Grills. And if you're wanting something the size of the smaller to mid sized ones, The Member's Mark Pellet Grill Pro is head and shoulders a better grill. I have one and LOVE it. It is the reason why I gave up on my roached Genesis. Here are links to the 2 pellet poppers I have and they're truly outstanding. Both built like tanks, hold temps really well and turn out food I could never see out of a gasser no matter how good a gasser.
Or go for broke and grab a Smoke Fire though I passed on them for 2 reasons. Price and the design that ends up mixing grease with wood ash. Not my cup of coffee. I just want to vacuum it out and go. Not possible on the SmokeFire

I'd lean towards refurbishing it.

The bottom shelf is an easy fix with new Z-bars. Are the slats durawood ? ( Plastic ) ? Those last a long time so you'll just need new Z-bars.
Someone will come along with a source for the Z-bars. I don't have one at my finger tips.

You mentioned "grease pan"
if it is just the piece on the bottom slat area, those are not very expensive and available.
if you need to replace the slide out bottom pan under the cook box, those are harder to find.

Grates are not very expensive nor are complete sets of flavorizer bars if you need those.

I'm guessing $100 to $200 and you'll have a grill that is better than anything available for $500 or less.
Yes, durawood. I have never heard of z-bars. Interesting.

not even the slide out pan. Just just the pan that holds the til foil pan. I figure super cheap.

I am not worried about cost. I would spend $1500 if needed to get a new grill or Traeger.

I think that grill has definitely degraded to the point where you can justify getting a new grill if that is what you want. On the other hand, it could be fixed up pretty easily also and for a lot less money than the cost of a shiny new one. RcPlanebuyer still sells stainless steel replacement Z brackets for these grills on eBay if you decide to go that way.
I have purchased from RCPlaner before with my pre divorce grill! lol

As long as the frame is not roached out, you don't have a real "issue" there. That thing can be refurbed to a decent daily driver pretty easily. Also FWIW from what I have seen of Traeger they're WAY over priced. Also many don't know but much of their lineup is made by Z Grills. And if you're wanting something the size of the smaller to mid sized ones, The Member's Mark Pellet Grill Pro is head and shoulders a better grill. I have one and LOVE it. It is the reason why I gave up on my roached Genesis. Here are links to the 2 pellet poppers I have and they're truly outstanding. Both built like tanks, hold temps really well and turn out food I could never see out of a gasser no matter how good a gasser.
Or go for broke and grab a Smoke Fire though I passed on them for 2 reasons. Price and the design that ends up mixing grease with wood ash. Not my cup of coffee. I just want to vacuum it out and go. Not possible on the SmokeFire
I do have a Sam's Club membership, along with a Costco. This all started because my BIL got a better grill than I have! He found it for $550 on Facebook. Now I need something better! I can't have him having a better grill than I have!

IMG_4967.jpg$

I do have a Sam's Club membership, along with a Costco. This all started because my BIL got a better grill than I have! He found it for $550 on Facebook. Now I need something better! I can't have him having a better grill than I have!

View attachment 75090$
Fixed up, your grill will still be a far better one that this one. Maybe not as fancy or all types of useless features. But a better overall cooker. But I gotta say, I don't even use my gas grills for the most part any more. Hard to now that I have pellet cookers

One big advantage with the new grills is the sear station. At a $1500 budget, you might also look at the Napoleon grills with the IR side sear burners.

Also FWIW from what I have seen of Traeger they're WAY over priced. Also many don't know but much of their lineup is made by Z Grills. And if you're wanting something the size of the smaller to mid sized ones, The Member's Mark Pellet Grill Pro is head and shoulders a better grill. I have one and LOVE it. It is the reason why I gave up on my roached Genesis. Here are links to the 2 pellet poppers I have and they're truly outstanding. Both built like tanks, hold temps really well and turn out food I could never see out of a gasser no matter how good a gasser.

www.samsclub.com

Member's Mark Pro Series Pellet Smoker Grill - Sam's Club

Buy Member's Mark Pro Series Pellet Smoker Grill : Pellet Grills at SamsClub.com

www.samsclub.com
www.samsclub.com

www.samsclub.com

ZGRILLS 11002B Wi-Fi Pellet Grill - Sam's Club

Buy ZGRILLS 11002B Wi-Fi Pellet Grill : Pellet Grills at SamsClub.com

www.samsclub.com
www.samsclub.com

Very interesting information if you are like me and want an entry level pellet smoker to compliment the gasser. It looks like the cost of these are much cheaper ($500 vs $2000)

I think I'm just going to get CI grates for my Geni for this year, and the bracket to hold the grease trap. I'll just cut a piece of wood for the bottom shelf. Grill is fantastic still. Then perhaps just buy the Members Mark pellet grill next year!

Also FWIW from what I have seen of Traeger they're WAY over priced. Also many don't know but much of their lineup is made by Z Grills. And if you're wanting something the size of the smaller to mid sized ones, The Member's Mark Pellet Grill Pro is head and shoulders a better grill. I have one and LOVE it. It is the reason why I gave up on my roached Genesis. Here are links to the 2 pellet poppers I have and they're truly outstanding. Both built like tanks, hold temps really well and turn out food I could never see out of a gasser no matter how good a gasser.

www.samsclub.com

Member's Mark Pro Series Pellet Smoker Grill - Sam's Club

Buy Member's Mark Pro Series Pellet Smoker Grill : Pellet Grills at SamsClub.com

www.samsclub.com
www.samsclub.com

www.samsclub.com

ZGRILLS 11002B Wi-Fi Pellet Grill - Sam's Club

Buy ZGRILLS 11002B Wi-Fi Pellet Grill : Pellet Grills at SamsClub.com

www.samsclub.com
www.samsclub.com

Very interesting information if you are like me and want an entry level pellet smoker to compliment the gasser. It looks like the cost of these are much cheaper ($500 vs $2000)
I think you convinced me to buy it. But I'll wait til next year.

Back