Renowned Mr. Brown Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
How long should the mopping sauce simmer for?

Did two 7.5# butts this weekend using Mr.Brown recipe. Turned out fantastic, way better than I expected for my first attempt. Cooked to 195 F over 17 hours, foiled for last 90 minutes. Meat was juicy, tender, pulled easily but not mushy.
Thanks TVWB!

Really? I'll have to try that. The recipe says simmer but doesn't say for how long.

thnx Tom

I mix the mop sauce about half way through the butt cook, then keep it on the heat as low as my stove will possibly go for the remainder of the cook.

I just let it simmer for about 15 min and then brought it out and put it on the smoker to keep it warm. I use offset smoker box with pot rest.

I've only used the mopping sauce for the Mr. Brown once. My wife didn't like the overpowering vinegar smell that it caused in the house when it started to simmer.

Sounds like this is a personal preference thing with some impact to the end result.

Yes, that is quite an odor it gives off isn't it? Smells kinda like stinky feet. Funny though, I don't recall smelling or tasting the cider vinegar in the finished meat. I simmered for 10 minutes and also heated it back up prior to subsequent applications.

Has anybody tried it both ways who could compare the end results?

I just bring it to a simmer and then keep it warm or warm it up again before I mop so that I'm not putting cold mop on the meat. I like the Southern Sop and use it often, but sometimes I get lazy and just spray apple juice or 50/50 mix of apple juice/apple cider vinegar on my Mr. Brown with no degredation in Brown flavor. Beer works well too /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I never mop. But usually after I pull the butt I throw it all in a big frying pan. I mix a cider vinegar sauce I make (the sauce contains no water, just staight vinegar) with water at a 3 to one ratio with water (3 parts water, one part sauce). Enough to cover the pork in the frying pan,and I throw in a little rub for good measure. I cook it over medium high heat until I get a very small amount of liquid when I press down with a spatula. It spreads the smoke flavor around and adds a nice hint of flavor, not overpowering, just a hint. You may have to adjust to your liking. When I serve I put sauces out on the table but most people don't add anything at all to it. Sometimes I add just a bit more vinegar sauce (to the sandwich) when I want a stronger sauce flavor, but usually a little dab will do ya!

I've never made this recipe, but my guess would be that you want the mop hot as to not bring down the temp of the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back