renovatin gan old Genesis

Tom Rodgers

Hi,
Just picked up an old Genesis for $25. It is in need of a little more than I expected, but I am going to move forward anyway!

I will have to replace the hose with a new style. Anything special I need to do when connecting new hose to grill? Do you use any plumbers tape on the threads?

Will need new flavorizor bars (only came with 3), new grease collector with bracket to mount. I will have to install all new wood on the left and right prep surfaces and underneatht the grill. May also need an igniter switch.

There are rust marks on the black porcelain top where the gas controls are. Looks like someone laid a rack on there and it rusted. Any suggestiosn in removing this without scratching the surface?

Thanks all for you input!!!

tom

as to the porcelain control panel First clean the top and bottom with oven cleaner, then use a bristle brush to scrum the whole thing with soap or simple green and water. then if anything is left it can probably be removed with gentle scrubbing with red automobile rubbing compound Be gentle with this stuff. as to the hose and regulator assembly I use Rector seal #5 which is non hardening and really works to hold gas and other liquids.
The igniter cost about $11.00 and if the genesis is old it uses a screw in type of starter. There is a guy on e-bay who makes stainless steel flavorizor bars for about $50.

Weber has replacement stuff for the wood. It is quite pricie work table is $23 and the bottom is a little more. But these are dura wood and Mine have lasted 17 years and still look good.

Show us a picture or two before and again after you finish

If I can be of any help just ask

Gary,
Thanks!!
I should have shot a pic before... but the work tables were falling apart and it was in many pieces from moving it. I may order the new SS bars for my Genesis (which is also a renovation) and move mine to this one.

I just moved the whole thing to the front lawn and scrubbed it down. Heading to Home depot for a hose, and some lumber for the work tables and shelf. Found one rust spot on the hood on top, about the size of a dime, other than that the firebox is in pretty good shape. Burners look good but it has not been fired up.
I have to check the serial number on weber site to see which exact model and how old it is . I am guessing it is about 10 years old, but not poorly cared for.

will definately shoot some after pics.

tom

Tom
My neighbor Pete called me last week and said I could have his Weber Genesis if I wanted or it was going to the street. Didn't have to think much and said "I'LL TAKE IT". Pete delivered it to me last sunday and I gave it the once over and said many thanks. petes Weber was the first one in my neighborhood over 15 years ago and it was shot. When I opened the top everything had rust on it and that rust was flaking off and more forming under it, the wood could not be even touched without it breaking loose. the handle was wood and it too was broken.
SOO what did I salvage the grill was a 2200 and as such had a large frame with work tables on both sides and also had a swing up table on both sides I own a pair of Platinum series I from about 15 years ago one is a 1200 and the other is a 3200. I kept the frame, flavoriser bars Weber emblem, all the tables and hardware.

This week I have been sanding the frame and swing table hardware and today I painted it.
so armed with the wide frame and my old 1200 which is a narrow frame I am going to make a "frankenweber" which will have durawood side tables and swing up tables and the firebox and lid from my donner platinum I have always wanted swing up tables on both sides as well as the work table on both sides, seems like I always run out of room to store things I am cooking with.

Will send pictures of the completed unit in a few weeks.

I too made a Craigslist score on a nice 3 burner Weber gasser. It's in very good shape (actually works, but not very well).

I've replaced the quick-connect nipple on the regulator with an old nipple I had in the garage so I don't have to fuss with 2 different types of tanks (heaven knows I'll run out of gas in the middle of a cook and it'll take me 2 weeks to get around to refilling the tank).

Wifey said she's already ordered me some flavorizor bars and new burners. Guess she's tired of the backyard looking like Fred Sanford's place.
icon_smile.gif

Here is a simple warning about the gas connections.

On straight pipe you use pipe dope or tape. If the male end of the pipe is flared, you never use any kind of sealant. The flaring or the pipe and receptor is designed so that nothing is needed.

This picture is a perfect example of the two different types of pipe.

The left side is called straight which requires sealant.

The right side is flared where you use nothing.

2h4gbqq.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back