Removing One Touch Cleaning System

MarkMac

TVWBB Member
I picked up a used performer and just cleaning it up. The one touch cleaning blades are in fair shape, but I'd still like to pull them off to clean up the bowl.

I found the instructions online to use a screwdriver and twist the handle. Saw a couple videos online also, but mine just won't pop out. I've torqued on it pretty good and worried I may twist the bowl near the bottom if I twist any harder (already have a piece of wood through handle to get more torque), while trying to pop the notch with a screwdriver.

Any other tips on how to get it off without just grinding it off and replacing the whole thing? It's the H bracket style.

Did you soak it down with some type of penetrating/lubrication spray? Is there pressure against the handle that will not allow it to twist or move?

I've been hitting it with PB Blaster all day while working on the cover bracket/holder bolt, but that's another story.

The one touch cleaner blades turns just fine. It's in decent shape, but I can't seem to get the handle to turn so I can get the notch on the bottom to pull through. I noticed in the two videos I found online that they had the bowl upside down. I'm wonder if the blades need to be pulling the opposite direction when trying to pop the handle rod?

The handle rod is most likely rusted in the housing. You need a heat wrench(torch) to heat it up. If not you will need to just cut it off and install a new set. But if it's working and not in bad shape then just leave it alone. It could last you many years as it is.

It is definitely easier if you have the bowl upside down. If you haven't yet, just remove the bowl from the frame--if you have gas ignition, you'll also need to detach the hose and the ignitor wires.

I've never seen one where the handle couldn't be spun once you put a screwdriver between the washer and the handle between the two ears. A little twist of the screw driver will simultaneously push the washer down and lift the handle, releasing the pressure that holds the handle tongue in the notch of the H washer.

It is definitely easier if you have the bowl upside down. If you haven't yet, just remove the bowl from the frame--if you have gas ignition, you'll also need to detach the hose and the ignitor wires.

I've never seen one where the handle couldn't be spun once you put a screwdriver between the washer and the handle between the two ears. A little twist of the screw driver will simultaneously push the washer down and lift the handle, releasing the pressure that holds the handle tongue in the notch of the H washer.

Thanks. I took it off and gave it a try but no luck. The rod turns just a little. Its definitely not seized, and the whole cleaner moves easily. It's weird as I can see the little tongue, but just can't seem to twist it. I even put a small piece of wood through the rod handle to turn really hard while twisting the screwdriver, but nothing.

I'm thinking I'll just leave it on and continue trying to clean around it, its just a pain. When the blades give up in the future I'll just cut the rod on either side of the H bracket to get it out.

Thanks. I took it off and gave it a try but no luck. The rod turns just a little. Its definitely not seized, and the whole cleaner moves easily. It's weird as I can see the little tongue, but just can't seem to twist it. I even put a small piece of wood through the rod handle to turn really hard while twisting the screwdriver, but nothing.

I'm thinking I'll just leave it on and continue trying to clean around it, its just a pain. When the blades give up in the future I'll just cut the rod on either side of the H bracket to get it out.

I have always had to cut them off because of the rust, so yea just wait until you can't stand it any longer.

Back