Remote Thermometer Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Hartnell

TVWBB Member
Greetings-

I'am about ready to purchase a remote thermometer. Am leaning towards the ET-73. Anything new remotes out there or any reasons why I might purchase a different remote?

Thanks!

You'll get a lot of replies, pro and con, but I have had an ET-73 since my first cook on the WSM and it's the best accessory by far that I have purchased.

Absolutely no problems with it, and it is very accurate.

Be sure to get it from GadgetSource for the best price.

If you find anything better, let all of us know! I haven't heard of anything...still using my ET-73. I haven't had any problems with it except my dog at through the probe cord for the meat thermometer...at least he left the smoke probe intact - that is what I really bought it for anyway!

Anyone know how to get a replacement meat probe?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

The customer service guys at Maverick are great. I have an extra meat probe on order right now. If something doesn't work, they'll typically replace it fer free. The ET-73 is the best $40 I've spent on BBQ hardware yet.

Just got my replacement ET-73 in the mail today.
The first one wouldnt pick up a signal past 10 feet.
The replacement works great, even through the walls.
I will be testing it this weekend on the 20 lbs. of pork butt that is thawing out in my fridge to see how far it will pick up.
Customer service at Maverick was excellent!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just got my replacement ET-73 in the mail today.
The first one wouldnt pick up a signal past 10 feet.
The replacement works great, even through the walls.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I bought one a couple weeks ago. The reciver would not work at all, finally gotaround to calling them today. They admitted they had a problem in some that went out and are sending me a new one.

The concept of the ET-73 is great. I am now returning my 2nd one in two weeks. They both would not transmit more than 2'. I hope 3 is my lucky number.

I've been using the Nu-Temp 701 for about a year now. One receiver accepts up to 3 transmitters. I bought 4 complete units on a special about a year ago ~ All the parts, just not packaged like you see in a store. Can't remember the cost but it was less than half the regular. Anyway, They have worked great for me. With the WSM outside the side door, I can receive the signal anywhere in the house or in my yard. I currently have 2 receivers going with 3 transmitters ~ Great setup!

Bills%20WSM%202a.JPG

This model doesn't appear to be very popular, but don't rule it out. Hope this helps.

Just an update...

Got my ET-73 in the mail. Found out it only works with the Tx and Rx about 6" away from each other. Called Maverick and they said send it in as there were some defective ones out there.

Looks like the cover on the Tx will eventually break with those rubber gaskets and that plastic "screw".

It seems like you have to open it up and turn it on in order to register with the Rx. So I don't think you can just leave it on all the time. Is this the case?

Otherwise, seems like it will be a great tool for the WSM (when I get a working one).

Thanks for all your input.

Yes, the only design flaw I've seen is the location of the transmitter on/off switch, although I guess it does lend itself to being rainproof (I've used the unit in all kinds of weather imaginable).

I always turn mine off after every smoke, but then I'm chinsy when it comes to burning up batteries. Yes, just reboot it like the instructions say. Sounds like you were unlucky in your timing with a bad batch just going out. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif You'll be tickled once you get it going though.

Like Bill Hays, I've been using a NU-Temp 701 for a year now and it's been flawless. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Cliff

I've been using Polders for about a year now and have gone through many of them. They are good as a back up but very unreliable. I also have a remote sensor model made by the kitchen furnishing company Williams and Sonoma (XMas gift...can't turn down free stuff) and it works pretty good. Test the calibration once a month so far and is always good. Only have a problem with it if I take it upstairs in my house. I can take it anywhere on ground floor or even two-three houses down when I am talking to the neighbors but when I go upstairs it loses the signal. This is probably due to the house being a block house as most are in Florida. Eitherway it has been reliable so far. ONLY big prob I had was when I put the wrong probe on it. I put a probe for my old polder on it by mistake and it gave a false reading of over 30 deg off. Ops...and it was using it to take the smoker temp so as you can see I kept thinking the smoker was running cold when it was actually right on. So until I figured out my mistake (about an hour) I kept trying to get it up to 245..........LOL. Ended up have good ribs but they were done quicker and just a bit dry. Won't make that mistake again.

Just ordered a NU-Temp 701 online...going to give it a shot. Will let you know how it comes out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back