Remote access to Stoker

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
I'm just enough of a techie that I'd like to be able to access my stoker from my office computer while it's cooking away at home. I'm not quite techie enough to figure out how to do it.

My stoker is connected to my home network via an Ethernet cable between the stoker and router.

I'm running StokerLog.

Can someone give me a step-by-step?
Thanks,
Jeff

RobM has put together a series of videos that are sticky in this section. They can be found
HERE Not sure if one of them covers remote access. I'd check there first and if it's not there check your router manual on setting-up port forwarding. It's pretty straight forward.

If you know your router model you can also do a search in this forum, someone may have had similar questions on that unit.

I use a program called Logmein ( freeware )to remotely access my pc at home and thus Stokerlog. Works fine, note that you have to check the HTTP only box in Stokerlog.

Jeff,

I didn't cover setting the unit up for internet access because it varies by router. There are a bunch of threads I jumped in on though that discusses this. Basically you need to configure your router such that requests to port 80 from the internet are forwarded to the IP address of your stoker. This is called IP forwarding. If your ISP blocks port 80 requests you'll also need to do port mapping. I would assume your ISP does NOT block port 80 and go from there. If you want to use StokerLog you'll either have to forward port 23 (telnet) or use the HTTP Only option.

-rob

Jeff, here is what I'm going to try.

My corporate IT department are hawks at watching what you do on the internet, and they probably block all sorts of ports etc.

But, they do allow me to use Webex which is a service that allows me to view, and control an application on a remote PC.

I'm planning to start a Webex from my home PC sharing the application and then head to work. The wife could then give me control of the application and I can monitor it and run it from any PC.

This would work with a Stoker or Guru which is also a nice thing. No fancy software or hardware to buy and I'm set.

Hi folks,
All of the technical things about ports and stuff and just a little above my computer skill level. But I did follow the advice to download the free application "logmein". It works like a charm and I can easily access the stoker from other computers as long as it's open on my desktop. They also have an Iphone app which I may buy.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fr@nk:
I use a program called Logmein ( freeware )to remotely access my pc at home and thus Stokerlog. Works fine, note that you have to check the HTTP only box in Stokerlog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you need to check the http only box, and what limitations does that bring?

Back