Reheating or cooking Brisket in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
On cooking briskets in advance and reheating I was looking for some other opinions on the best way to do this and the results others have had.

I am thinking of making 6 flats for Tuesdays nights event. 3 Sunday night into Monday and 3 Monday night into Tuesday.

on aanother long therad I started this was one response I recieved. Are there any other ideas?

"Upon getting to my required temperature on the smoker, I have then double wrapped the briskets in heavy-duty aluminum foil and placed into a cooler with towels for several hours to settle. I take the brisket out of the cooler once the internal temp has come down to 170 or so. I simple place the entire brisket with the intact foil still on the meat into the refrige until the day I was going to need them. I have had whole-cooked briskets stay in my fridge for at least 3 days before. (the smell can get pretty overpowering on the other fridge items, so watch out!)

I then simply put the entire meat and foil hunk into an oven that is cooking at 275-200 degrees with a temperature probe and then take out once it hits 185 degrees. I have had excellent results with slicing the meat after reheating this way."

One concern is not turning the briskets to mush but still making sure they are tender any ideas?

Thanks

Tom...

2 thoughts.....

Is there any way for you to cook these on-site? Flats take much less time to cook than the whole, so no need to do an overnight. That way, you can serve hot off the smoker and slice to order.

Second...for any reheating I prefer the FoodSaver bags and boil them in water. Even if you don't freeze, you can still use them.

For brisket, I finish cooking them, then slice and store in bags.

When ready to serve, you can open one bag at a time and keep the others in the hot water until needed.

I do all this on my Coleman camper stove. I can fit 2 large pots on it and that gives me enough room to reheat a lot of meat.

Good luck!

Thanks Kevin,

I don't have the capacity to do all of them at once. Thats why I was doing half on Sunday night into Monday I can do two in the WSM and one in the BGE using the midnight cook tecnique on the site. All the Briskets are about 6-7 lb flats.

With the three I do on monday night into Tuesday I was planning to hold them in my oven wrapped in saran and foil at 170 until I leave for the club. Pack them in coolers for the ride and then put them in the Altosham at 170 until slicing shortly before serving. (unless you recommend better holditg tempratures)

The Club is is about 30 minutes away by car and if the weather looks good I am going to do the beer can chickens onsite starting at 300 pm with set up and firing at 4:30 putting on at 5:00 serving at 6:45

If the weather is poor I will keep the kettles at home and do the beer can chickens in the garage (more accurately near the garage in my weather protected area) taking great care not to burn down the joint.

I am leaning toward the foodsaver idea for moistness as I could always put the bags in a tray of water in the alto-sham to bring them back up gently (I have two holding ovens available to me).

David's I method is intriguing and I want to try it. I just dont know if I'm comfortable going with a tecnique I haven't tried sucessfully before. The foodsaver method is a tried and proven method.

How thin do you slice your brisket?

Thanks!! At least the the Pork is all done and in the freezer!!!

Tom....

Sounds like you have everything under control!!

Another idea......as long as you are cooking several flats, I suggest trying David's technique on 1 or 2. Great chance to do this experiment!

For brisket slice thickness.....it comes down to how tender is it. If is VERY tender, you will need to slice thick...1/2"+. If it is not so tender, then thinner...1/4".

I have a similar issue in that I have a BBQ at 6:00 tonight and the brisket is already done. I don't have a food saver. Can I just slice the brisket and put it in zip lock bags and then reheat in water as well?

Jon

I would be concerned, as I imagine you are, about the ability of the bag to handle the boiling water. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I would try the conventional low temp oven, tightly wrapped in HD foil with some moisture added. Nuking would also work, but it's not too impressive for guest. I had a brisket come off at 7:00 this morning so I'll be doing something also.

Paul

When reheating a whole brisket flat in the oven, I like adding some kind of flavored liquid - beef broth or apple juice, generally - to a roasting pan, put the brisket in the pan on a rack (so it's not sitting in the liquid), then tightly wrap the top in foil. This essentially causes the meat to steam some, so you don't want to overcook it, just bring it up to temp for serving. The last few minutes I'll take the foil off the top and let the crust dry out slightly so the outside isn't mushy - this is also a good time to glaze with sauce if you're into that sort of thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Howdy Tom and all,

I log on to this site under two differnt names depending on my computer but this is "David".

Good Luck with the cooks Tom and Jon. My two experiences with the above reheating method did not seem to "mush" the meat but the bark was not quite as hard, if that is what you mean. It also sounds like a good idea to add some liquid. It's just an idea, but how about reheating at low temp in the foil and the oven, followed by a blast from some hot coals for 5 minutes a side to get some crispness?

I'm looking forward to hearing the results so keep us posted.

Have good weekends.
Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back