ReHeating Brisket

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Using the oven at 300-325 has resulted in DRY brisket. I read Chris' instructions, he recomends 200-250 in the oven or low power microwave.
I have used apple juice and meat drippings. All in all, my brisket reheated is too dry.

Any other suggestions?

Steve,

I don't know if you have a vacum sealer, but I have good success reheating the vacum sealed brisket by placing it in a pot of low simmering water. I also had a very small amount of frozen apple juice prior to sealing. Hope this helps.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n..... too many choices.

Gary

I slow simmer brisket slices in a bit of water, wine or whatever liquid that happens to suit my fancy at the moment.

That durn vac sealer, it keeps popping up. Ya I know I neeeeed one.

What is the lowest cook to temp you target? Perhaps my brisket is getting a little over cooked.

Steve,

When I vac seal the brisket I fan the slices inside to bag. Heating does not take to long, and I can feel the temp of the meat better. As for actual temp, just warm..... it rarely lasts long enough to cool off.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!

Gary

Buy the way, the vac sealer is a Q'er friend. I have not regreted the purchase.

Steve--

I'm one for leaving brisket whole if possible and reheating from there. I like an oven method as it's easier to monitor the come-up and pull when the brisket is just hot enough. Here is an approach I use.

If sliced already, you can reheat in the nuker or in a skillet in a little reserved meat juices or in a little beef stock mixed with a toich of unsalted butter. Or, of course, in a FoodSaver bag. To me, for brisket it is important not to allow the juice or stock (or water in the pot if vac sealed) to boil. A pre-simmer temp of ~175 is sufficient.

Kevin,

I always cook extra, and destignate what is going to be vac sealed. The process I have used from the completion of resting process is to chilling while whole to setup the juices, to slice so i can sense temps at any given time during reheat, then vac seal and freeze. Does the chilling prior to slice help me with moisture loss? Would I be better off keeping it whole? I will be doing two packers this weekend will try both.

I also go straight from the freezer to the water bath, you speaking of refiged right?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n...... too many choices!
Gary

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
Kevin,

Does the chilling prior to slice help me with moisture loss? Would I be better off keeping it whole? I will be doing two packers this weekend will try both.

I also go straight from the freezer to the water bath, you speaking of refiged right?
Yes, chilling prior will help with moisture loss.

Try both ways and see which you prefer. I prefer whole because I find it easy to monitor with a probe (so as not to overheat and, essentially, cook again) and, once in the oven, little attention is necessary untill the therm shows it in range.

Slicing first is certainly viable. In that case I think it's wise to pay close attention so that the slices don't overcook and become dry or pot roast-y. Keeping the temp of the liquid in the skillet or the water in the pot below a simmer facilitates this but not allowing the reheat to go on too long is important too. An addition of a little fat (either from the reserved juices or a little unsalted butter put in the skillet or into the vac bag when freezing) can help with flavor and mouthfeel.

Yes, I was speaking of refridged. You can go from freezer to pot. The frozen pack will bring the temp of the water down, a good thing, imo. Then the temp can be kept lower for the thaw/reheat. It'll take longer but is more likely to be error free.

Back