reheated ribs the next day are better? falling off bone problems

Jimbo B

TVWBB Fan
I was reading this post about reheating ribs and noticed I have a similar experience with mine.

My speculation is that the foiled ribs reheated in the oven are slightly steamed. There may also be something happening to the fats when the ribs are chilled in the fridge and then reheated that is not present when they are first off the smoker.

Anyone else know? If I prefer this super-soft texture, would it be sensible for me to try an hour or so of foiling on the smoker?

I've been finding myself cooking ribs longer and longer to try to get that "can barely pick it up without the meat falling off" texture, since that's what I like. This amount of time is often well-exceeding the times posted in the rib recipes here, which is making me thinking it simply isn't possible to get the texture I want with conventional methods (either that, or I'm making a mistake somewhere).

I use a probe digital thermo and stick it through a vent hole in the top of the smoker lid. It sticks in at a slight angle about 6" and I maintain 220-240F there.

Any ideas?

( Here is a post about ribs being "overcooked" by KCBS when they fall off the bone. I like mine overcooked.)

You need only to cook your ribs for a while in foil with a little liquid after they've cooked for a while unfoiled.

Are you cooking spares or back ribs? In either case I'd recommend cooking at least 30 degrees hotter (you can go higher) which will give you better color a bit sooner. After the ribs are nicely colored, about 3.5-4.5 hours depending on rib type, wrap each slab in a single sheet of HD foil, adding a little juice (your choice, about 1/4-1/2 c per slab), being careful not to tear the foil with protruding bones; crimp tightly though.

Return the ribs to the cooker (stacking is fine). If you wish, bump the heat up a bit. Cook till as soft as you'd like, likely 1.5-2.5 hours more but, again, this will depend on rib type, and it will also depend on cook temps and the timing of the first phase. Since you're shooting for overcooked you need only extract one rib pack to check: open it and tug a bone. It will release effortlessly when the ribs are finished. If it doesn't, re-crimp and return to the cooker and try later. If you wish, when done, you can remove the ribs from the foil and return them to the cooker to firm up a bit (or you can glaze or sauce at this point before returning to the cooker). If you apply a thick glaze or sauce thinly (either may be thickened substantially by simmering over med hea till thicker) they will set rather quickly. (Or simply straight from the foil, serving sauce on the side.

Play with these variables to get them how you like them. Remember to be careful with the ribs once they hit the stage you seek as they fall apart easily. Good luck and have fun.

Back