Rehabbing Genesis 1000

JWPopeJr

Unable to unscrew the hose from the manifold. Can I connect a new hose to the old hose to connect to my propane tank?. See picture of my old hose. Thanks

Attachments

• 9909DF80-BFC9-4B91-8CAA-BD15A9D7D614.jpeg
    9909DF80-BFC9-4B91-8CAA-BD15A9D7D614.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 38
  • BB97BEAD-6A7D-4C5F-BF5B-5933A9D60391.jpeg
    BB97BEAD-6A7D-4C5F-BF5B-5933A9D60391.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 37
Pics are of 2 different things and screw hose clamps are NOT safe for LP use BTW. Honestly can't figure out what is the issue. In re to the 2nd photo, the 90 deg brass fitting can unscrew from the manifold. Go to a good hardware store or home center. There you will find a 90deg 1/8" NPT to 3/8" male flare nut fitting. Screw that in place, buy a new regulator assembly and install it. Use PTFE pipe dope for gas fittings on the 1/8" NPT male threads and nowhere else. Do NOT use tape or PTFE on any other fitting in the setup. The flare fitting will self seal. As for the first photo I don't have a clue since it has nothing to do with the second photo and it looks like something for the Darwin award

Agree with Larry. It sounds like you just want to add a new hose to the end of the current catastrophe that is on your grill. Don't do it, replace it.
First of all, you are right about wanting to change out that current hose. In fact, unless it is just hidden, I don't even think that hose has a regulator on it.
Now, to fix the problem. First of all, you are probably best off removing the manifold from the grill so you have some room to work on it. Then, you have a couple choices for removing that hose. First, you can remove the hose from that little brass angle bracket. To do so you can use a skinny open end wrench (I think 7/16"). Or, you can simply grab it with a locking pliers and take it off that way. Don't worry about damaging the hose...that is destined for the trash bin.
Or, secondly, if you want, you can simply remove the brass angle connector and hose directly from the manifold. Then remove the angle connector from the hose so you can re-use it.
Now buy a new hose and regulator assembly: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B078K8DSXC/tvwb-20
and you will need this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPK76G/tvwb-20
Now, using Larry's advice on pipe sealant above, replace the angle adapter in the manifold if you took it out, then add the 1/8" NPT x 3/8" flare adapter to that using larry's advice. Then install the new hose and regulator assembly to the 3/8" flare connector (don't use pipe sealant). Then check for leaks with a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Then fire it up and starting cooking cow meat.

Unable to unscrew the hose from the manifold. Can I connect a new hose to the old hose to connect to my propane tank?. See picture of my old hose. Thanks

I had a similar issue. I was able to unscrew the angle adapter itself from the manifold (I cut the hose off first), then used a dremel to cut the collar off the hose and remove that, leaving just the angle adapter and the hose connector. Then I was able to put the exposed hose connector into a bench vise and twist the angle piece off of it.

Now, you can put the angle adapter back into the manifold, and buy this regulator (no adapter required):
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075R73GRY/tvwb-20

Dave, good find on that hose.
But, why is it so difficult to remove the angle adapter from the manifold? I just use a wrench on the flat part of the adapter and it comes right out. The adapter is like a square nut.

In my opinion if you need to work of the manifold remove the manifold from the grill if you can. It takes a little extra time but it makes life much easier.

You can place the manifold in a vise to secure it while you replace the fittings.

Your manifold needs maintenance like the other parts. Clean it up. Paint the iron with high heat paint. Clean and lubricate the valves.

You can bring the manifold and the hose you wish to use to the hardware store to get the proper fittings.

Dave, good find on that hose.
But, why is it so difficult to remove the angle adapter from the manifold? I just use a wrench on the flat part of the adapter and it comes right out. The adapter is like a square nut.

The adapter came out of the manifold easy enough; I just had the cut the hose off first because the adapter didn't have enough clearance to spin while the hose was still attached.

Was successful in removing the angle adaptor fr the manifold. (Old hose w clamp won’t come off so far). Yes, I cut the hose to make it easier). Easiest avenue would be to buy another angle adaptor to screw into manifold. Think Ace will have? If not, I will unscrew the hose/clamp. Part of my challenge, is that I’m not familiar with the various descriptions of the parts, so bear w me. Thanks for your help!!! Jim

Just get a pair of locking pliers and clamp it on what is left of the hose and unscrew it from the adapter. Otherwise, I could probably spare one if you are willing to pay shipping + a couple bucks.

Was successful in removing the angle adaptor fr the manifold. (Old hose w clamp won’t come off so far). Yes, I cut the hose to make it easier). Easiest avenue would be to buy another angle adaptor to screw into manifold. Think Ace will have? If not, I will unscrew the hose/clamp. Part of my challenge, is that I’m not familiar with the various descriptions of the parts, so bear w me. Thanks for your help!!! Jim

What Bruce said. Now that it's freed, you should be able to unscrew the two pieces. If you don't have a bench vise, use something like a pipe wrench or channel locks to hold the angle adapter still, and then use a crescent wrench on the other piece (the one that was on the hose) to turn it loose. If it's rusted, hit it with some WD-40 or PB Blaster and let it sit for a while. Maybe take the whole assembly and give it a couple good whacks against something hard; sometimes that'll help loosen up the threads.

A little heat from a propane torch might help. Since it is two different metals they will expand and contract at different rates so should break it loose.

Be wary of applying heat. I would not use a flame on it. Maybe an electric heat gun but honestly it should not be that hard

Seriously, those two pieces are brass. They should break apart fairly easily. Clamp the adapter in a vice lightly and a pair of locking pliers on the hose end should be all you need. If you don't have a vice, just use an adjustable wrench or open end wrench on the adapter.
This isn't one of those deals like a bolt frozen in the cookbox.

Heat is fine I would just not apply it with a flame. I have seen residue cause a flare and in a closed tube it might be a little "scary"

Back