Rehabbed grill HOT.

BobbyG

TVWBB Super Fan
So just fired up my silver b rehab and it’s running super hot. Gets off the if thermometer in like 5 mins. I took a pic of the flames in low light. Just installed new regulator. I think there are too much orange flames. What does that signify and how do I fix? The grill was def LP. Has a tank scale. So curious to what I need to do to not nuke my food.

Attachments

• D49FF17D-7DB1-4A68-B2D6-A7D56C49286B.jpeg
    D49FF17D-7DB1-4A68-B2D6-A7D56C49286B.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 10
What kind of regulator? There are different types. Some meant for grills (should be limited to 11"WC) some meant for fryers, heaters, camp stoves etc. They put out WAY too much pressure for a grill. Also just because it has a tank scale does NOT mean it's an LP grill. It may have been converted somewhere down the line. Until a few days ago mine had a tank scale on it but it's NOT an LP grill

Silver B/Cs run hot. Small firebox and big burner tubes. Fool around with the control valves to see if you can adjust the temperature.

Set the first control to medium, second to low and third to medium to see if you get down in the 400 to 500 temperature range and be able to hold temperature.

Last edited:
I think it’s just me relying on the grill thermometer. Has stayed pretty steady and when I adjusted to high medium low. It dropped a down to 500 on the thermometer I think I’m good. Also. Gonna get new thermometer

I just started using a restored silver b after using a 1100 all summer long. The silver definitely heats up a lot faster.

I think it’s just me relying on the grill thermometer. Has stayed pretty steady and when I adjusted to high medium low. It dropped a down to 500 on the thermometer I think I’m good. Also. Gonna get new thermometer
It will bury the needle on high so your thermometer is ok. You can test it in boiling water. There is a mark at 212F

So curious to what I need to do to not nuke my food.

Don't turn it up to 11 maybe?

Seriously, though, this is not a problem.

A couple years back, I swapped out the Weber PECI grates for GrillGrates (a whole other discussion) in order to get my Silver B to run a little hotter and sear a little better. With the Weber grates, the lid therm needle would top out at about 600F. With the GGs, the needle gets buried at the 6 o'clock position. But, of course, the actual temp on the grate can and does vary a bit from what the lid therm says. Only takes 5-8 minutes to heat up.

Note that the 2000 and forward Genesis grills have a shallower cook box and five flav bars; the earlier Genesis versions were deeper with 13 flav bars. So the later version runs a bit hotter, heats up quicker and flares up a little more.

Last edited:
So curious to what I need to do to not nuke my food.

Don't turn it up to 11 maybe?

Seriously, though, this is not a problem.

A couple years back, I swapped out the Weber PECI grates for GrillGrates (a whole other discussion) in order to get my Silver B to run a little hotter and sear a little better. With the Weber grates, the lid therm needle would top out at about 600F. With the GGs, the needle gets buried at the 6 o'clock position. But, of course, the actual temp on the grate can and does vary a bit from what the lid therm says. Only takes 5-8 minutes to heat up.

Note that the 2000 and forward Genesis grills have a shallower cook box and five flav bars; the earlier Genesis versions were deeper with 13 flav bars. So the later version runs a bit hotter, heats up quicker and flares up a little more.

I’m at ease now. I’m so used to the consistent heat in my q3200. I was alarmed. But it seems I’m good. So. Awesome.

Those flames look VERY good to me. Mainly blue flame, with a wisp of orangey/yellow here and there. I wouldn't touch a thing. You can control them with the knobs when needed, but for searing a good steak, get that thing HOT and let 'er rip!!

Those flames look VERY good to me. Mainly blue flame, with a wisp of orangey/yellow here and there. I wouldn't touch a thing. You can control them with the knobs when needed, but for searing a good steak, get that thing HOT and let 'er rip!!
Reverse seared steaks SOON

The question is also: Did you run the test with or without flavorizer bars? That makes a big difference on the lid thermometer since your radiant heat is much higher initially without.

Back