Regulator or Manifold issue?

Curt-ATL

Hello everyone, I’m having an issue with a Weber genesis e310 (propane). It’s fairly old, around 2011 or 2012. It has 3 burners with front mounted knobs.

I’ve replaced pretty much all the internals except the manifold and regulator.

My issue is the burner on the left gets a really big flame when on high, and the other 2 look as if they’re barely on.

If it was a regulator issue would all 3 burners be acting the same?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I’m with Tony, check your tubes. This might be a good time to replace them with Weber OEM or after market ones.

Thanks for the reply guys. In just the last couple weeks I’ve replaced all 3 tubes, control valves, and igniter kit. All new oem parts.

Just a matter of divide and conquer.

First off, did you disassemble the valves for cleaning?

I would replace the regulator anyway as they are less than $15 on Amazon and always good to have one as a spare. I don't think that is it though. Have you cleaned your orifices? They unscrew from the valve and could be dirty or clogged. Maybe other ideas coming soon.

Check the air flow on the first tibe. It could be robbing flow from everywhere else in that the first tube is blazing... but it could be something else

One burner cannot rob air flow from another. OP you indicated "replaced" control valves. IOW you replaced the entire manifold and the gas valves? If so why? Did the old one work? If so put it back on then report back. If not what "control valves" did you replace and why? Was the grill working correctly before you did all this work? Again, if it was why do the work? One thing about gas grills. They're pretty simple devices. If something does not work correctly it's usually because it's dirty. First rule of thumb. Clean, clean, clean DO NOT start changing adjustments or parts to compensate for something else.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ve been doing some trial and error this morning. I swapped around the tubes and the high flame remained in slot 1. I then swapped around the valves and the high flame followed the valve to slot 2. So obviously related to the valve. I then closely examined the new valves and noticed a difference. See photo. One end is copper, the other black. I then looked at the site where I bought these and turns out the black one is for NG and copper is for propane. So it appears they sent me 2 propane valves and one NG. Does this make sense that the NG valve would create a much larger flame? Sorry, this is not my skill set.

Attachments

• 51DAA75A-29B8-4251-8F64-A8636F9CA1E6.jpeg
    51DAA75A-29B8-4251-8F64-A8636F9CA1E6.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm a little confused too. Maybe you can describe what was going on before any of the valves were changed. Also, where did you buy the new valves, or manifold or ?

The orifices can be replaced, although it is not recommended. There was a page or a link showing internal differences in valves between LP and NG. I'll see if I can find it.

OK, so we know the problem is that one valve has a NG orifice and the other two have LP orifices. I would simply call the outfit you got the valves from and explain the problem and have them send you another valve with the LP orifice. They may just want to send the orifice, but best to get the valve with it since some valves don't play nice with fuels they are not designed for. If they insist, then just swap out the orifice and hopefully you have dual fuel valves and all will be good.

If you got them straight from Weber, I am sure they will send you the valve and orifice. They are great.

My original issues:
1. Every time I’d start the grill I felt like my head was going to be blown off.
2. the valves were sticking and could no longer find the “light” position
3. Starter wiring was severely melted and not going to last much longer
4. Last, old and dirty.

I originally tried cleaning up the valves, but it just never got better, so I ordered 1 valve as a trial just to see if it would fix anything (knew nothing about grills). Unfortunately, now I know the first valve I received was the NG valve, which is why it didn’t fix issue #1, and why I ended up spending money on new tubes. Had the first valve been correct, this wouldn’t have snowballed.

I’ve now replaced all 3 valves, 3 tubes, full starter kit including wiring, and knobs(just a visual thing). I put back one of the old valves for now until I can get it swapped for the correct one. All seems to be fixed except for the sticking on the old valve. So I think I’m good to go.

Apologies if this doesn’t make complete sense, but I really appreciate all the help and thoughts.

Lastly, I bought my parts from grillparts.com - they’re fixing their mixup on the wrong valve.

Thanks @Curt-ATL makes sense.

Until the new valve arrives, If you have gas-grade ( yellow ) teflon tape, you could swap in the "new wrong" valve and just replace the orifice that it came with (NG) with your original orifice (LP) and you might have a better interim solution.

I didn't know grillparts sold only the valves. Thanks for that.

good luck.

Back