Refurbish

Russell

I scored this baby for 5 bucks. Replaced the ash sweep. Going to make wood handles. code on vent is EO.Can anyone tell me where I can get paint the match. the grill is in really good shape.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 24
You aren't going to be able to paint that grill. At least not color-matched and have it look new-ish again.

The "paint" is baked on enamel. Best you can do it just find some red colored BBQ high temp paint and touch up the rust areas.
Another alternative is to just keep the rusted areas oiled up with some cooking oil to keep them from further rusting.

I'd say for $5 you got a good deal. Just clean it really well and cook away. I'd touch up the rust spots if it were mine.

I stumbled on this article the other day. Is Joe F a member here? I am curious how his repair held up!
I was trying to find a way to save the battle scared blue kettle I have instead of tossing it.

On a side note I contacted Thurmolux this morning to inquire about repairing porcelain enamel and they advised against it even though their website has this in the description
“For porcelain stoves, simply topcoat Thurmalox 290 series decorative colors with Thurmalox 293 High Gloss Clear to create a porcelain-like appearance that retains its high gloss and luster to 500F. For exterior applications, apply Thurmalox 245 Primer and 290 Topcoat”

I was told the clear will actually get tacky and could smear if touched or possibly run before it cools down and hardens again. But we are talking about temps over 500 degrees. I for one never seem to get the grill over 400 degrees however I did pin the thermometer two nights ago when I was seasoning my Craycort cast iron grate. My red kettle turned a dark brown color.

The guy I spoke to did say he knows Rustoleum has a high heat gloss paint that holds up and keeps its gloss but he said it is more like a semi gloss then a high gloss finish. In the article posted by Chris there is a link to the paint Joe F used for his repair.

Attachments

• 5F26E67B-A673-412C-9527-E3F85E34EC94.jpeg
    5F26E67B-A673-412C-9527-E3F85E34EC94.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 9
  • A2281824-E7D8-4476-AED3-B024E1527433.jpeg
    A2281824-E7D8-4476-AED3-B024E1527433.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 9
  • EF19A6E3-D367-48F3-9709-5BC07F09EEB4.jpeg
    EF19A6E3-D367-48F3-9709-5BC07F09EEB4.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 9
If you have the budget, this place can put a new color on your kettle....Think it's expensive. And probably not worth it on a kettle. Likely cheaper to just buy a new bowl and lid from Weber.

Kyle,
That is awesome! Thanks for that! It isn’t worth it to me to have the blue kettle restored but it just might on my Red LE in the future.
Thank you again!

His Smokefire looks amazing!
Going through their Facebook page I found a bunch of Weber kettles that they have done. A lot in Glen Blue.
I will definitely be using them. I sent a request for a quote on my 22 but I may actually have my Smokey Joe done first in red to match my LE.

Charlie, I did a friends performer a few months ago and it was the Blue color there is no match in paint as its more of an Indigo Blue and like Kyle said the Red is probably impossible also. His had the same rust spots most likely someone banked coals on the side. I masked it use Bondo All Purpose Putty to fill the moon craters then sprayed it with some 900 degree engine enamel I will ask him how its holding up its at a lake house. Its not that noticieable the paint color difference cause the Performer Table hides alot of it, unfortunately he had some spots on the lid also which I told him just leave it would have looked like crap with the paint so far off,

Back