Reflective Heat and Pizza Cooking

Teddy J.

TVWBB Pro
There are so many threads on multiple forums relating to pizza cooking on kettles. However, one problem that seems fairly common throughout is getting enough reflective heat off the dome of the lid to cook the top of the pizza sufficiently. So in an attempt to address this problem, I began wondering if foiling the underside of the lid with gold reflective film would help this issue.

For those that aren't familiar - C&R Racing out of Indy sells the stuff. It's basically aerospace quality gold film with high temp adhesive backing. It reflects ~78% of radiant heat w/ a continuous operating temp of ~840(F). I was introduced to the stuff many years ago building some race cars where we used it around the firewall/floors, brake systems, and drivetrain components.

So this had me thinking, what if the underside of the lid was lined with this foil? How would it affect the cooking temperature of the top of the pie? Would it be substantial?

This is the primary method of cooking pizza I use on my Performer. >Here<

One problem that I run into is the elevation of the pie has a tendency to choke the airflow and decrease the temps. However, I've needed to elevate the pie that high to cook the top sufficiently. If I could lower the pie just a bit, this would free up some airflow, but I'd sacrifice cooking temp at the top of the pie due to the greater distance between the pie and the dome. This is where I began thinking about the benefit of the gold film.

I'm thinking out loud here - what do you guys think?

I keep wanting to mount a something underneath my kettle lid but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I don't think you really need to unless you want a LittleblackEgg. I cut an opening in an old lid and it has really helped. I will try and post pictures soon.

This works for me: Close the top vent and place 2 rotisserie skewers across the bowl of the kettle so there is a gap between the lid and the bowl. This will give you a better convection action in the kettle and increase the temperature of your kettle significantly. I have my pizza stone raised 2" by having it sit on 2 flat firebricks. I also use 2 chimneys of lit RO lump that give me temps over 550 degrees. The pizza in your thread looks pretty darn perfect to me.

I made the Little black egg--used the ash catcher (the comes with it)bolted to the underside of the lid to deflect heat downward--works good. Use one bolt through the center of the handle.

I don't have all sizes to compare, but it's my theory that the 18.5 is the optimum pizza oven because the lid is much shallower than the bigger kettles. Elevate the pizza stone on a few firebricks and you have a fantastic pizza oven.

Here is my set up.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
I don't think you really need to unless you want a LittleblackEgg. I cut an opening in an old lid and it has really helped. I will try and post pictures soon.[/QUOTE Shaun what you cut the lid with? tin snips if so was it a easy job?

I cut the slot in the lid with a 1" hole saw for the ends (of the slot) and a jig saw with metal blade to go from hole to hole. then filed to smooth it out.

Use masking tape to (1) Outline your slot cut (2) keeps the jigsaw from hurting the surrounding finish.

Thanks Bill i've been thinkthat was the way id do it too, Think i'am cut the OTS lid i have just need to do some thinking on how wide i want to go.

Back