Refinish wood handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
I have 2 old 3-wheelers with wooden handles. I also have some leftover clear urethane hardwood floor coating so I thought I would coat them with it to protect them from the weather. Anybody refinish their old wooden handles?

Hey Lew,

I recently picked up a very nice, very low milage 1992 Master Touch.
The finish on the wood is the only thing that really did not look like brand new!
So I am currently in the process of refinishing the handles.
I like the look of natural wood, so I decided to just sand lightly (leaving just a little of the original finish in the deep pores, and where the Weber logo was stamped)
I decided to go with a hand rubbed oil finish, using Birchwood Casey, "Tru Oil Gun Stock Finish".
I am going about this one piece at a time. I am almost done with the top half of the bowl handle. I literally just walked in the door from rubbing in the 10th coat of oil when I saw your post.
So far it is looking Real good, the light remains of the original finish in the pores, and in the stamped logo area, really gives a nice contrast to the lighter wood areas where sanding removed all of the original finish.
I am not trying to duplicate the original finish. But I am quite pleased with the results so far. They will have a lot of "Charachter" and look semi aged, yet shiny, smooth, and well protected.

I have been taking photos as I go. If you would like, I can post some photos later. They might help give you some ideas?
I was planning on starting a new thread, and posting them anyway once I completed this first handle half, mainly to show off the difference from the un-molested originals, and to show what they can look like with a hand rubbed oil finish !

Corey

Lew,try either some spar varnish or clear deck sealer. The floor urethane,while hard enough to walk on,won't last long outdoors. The UV rays will do a number on it!

i soaked mine in mineral oil for a couple days. I could not believe how much they soaked up. thay look really nice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back