Refining the Brining Process..

Albert Sanchez

TVWBB Super Fan
I've used Chris Allingham's apple brined turkey recipe several times with great results.

Apple Brined Turkey

Wondering if adding the oranges, ginger, garlic, cloves, etc. to the brine solution after the brine has cooled in the frig, then letting the brine sit overnight again in the fridge - before adding the turkey the next day, would enhance the turkey's flavor.

Seems like doing this would allow all the ingredients' flavors to mix themselves well before the turkey begins to absorb the brine. Otherwise, adding the ingredients at the time the turkey is added doesn't seem to give the brine enough time to mix well with the other ingredients.

What do you think?

-Albert

What I would do is add the ginger, garlic, cloves, bay, and the zest from 1 or two of the oranges at the beginning--with the a.j., sugar, and salt. Bringing all of this up to a boil will release alot of flavor and allow them time to blend while cooling to room temp. At that point I'd add the the oranges, then chill to 40 degrees.

Do you guys happen to know a substitute for cloves I can use in this?? It just so happens that a member of the family is deathly allergic to them....strange I know....but for future referance....any ideas?? Or in any recipe that contains cloves for that matter....

Big Al

Al-- Try allspice--9-10 whole berries, added at the beginning with the a.j. The allspice is not the same as clove but it has a similar deep, kind of exotic island-esque thing happening.

Back