Reconditioning wooden lid handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've just finished scrubbing my WSM and the wooden lid handle still looks quite good. Does anyone have a suggestion on something I should be applying to it to help preserve it?

I checked, but might have overlooked it if it's in the maintenance section here.

Thanks,
Rita

The best wood preservative I know of for this kind of purpose would be "boiled" linseed oil. It's not actually boiled, but that's another show. The raw linseed oil would take to long to dry. You'll find it at your local lumberyard or hardware store.

Boiled linseed oil here also. That's what they use on wooden rain gutters in the New England States. I use it on my wood bird feeders.

Wow! That was fast! Thanks, guys.....3 out 3 is a great consensus.

I'm not sure mine is teak or whatever wood Weber used after that. I'll pick some up on Monday.

Would an overnight soak in the linseed oil be overkill?

Thanks,
Rita

Yeah, a soak would be overkill. Thoroughly soak a dishcloth sized cotton rag with the oil and give it a good going over. Let that dry, and do it again. Three or four applications will last a good long time.

Rita, if you put it on too thick it will remain sticky/gummy.(will not dry) Take my word for it. Did once not doing it again.
icon_eek.gif

Aha! There are no stupid questions....glad I asked the pros. Of course, a slow death with my hand stuck to the WSM lid probably wouldn't be a bad way to go. ~
icon_smile.gif

Many thanks,
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back