Rebuilding my Summit Gold model5290001

Mark Watson

Have a new cook box on its way to get this project going. So today I started cleaning up the cooking grates, the bottom panel of the cabinet, the hood and the control panel.

All cleaned up well except for the bottom panel of the cabinet. Rusted through in the corner where a door pin rest and a couple holes in the center. I have already replaced the entire cabinet before and not so pumped about this piece. I can rustoleum it and put it off for a couple years but it’s a problem area. Don’t really use the cabinet to store anything so thinking about cutting the center of the bottom panel out. Thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• 835A0193-ED14-4D13-A4F5-FC368B7943A2.jpeg
    835A0193-ED14-4D13-A4F5-FC368B7943A2.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 509E13DE-7C1D-4F5F-914A-9AC502F475CA.jpeg
    509E13DE-7C1D-4F5F-914A-9AC502F475CA.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 752DA8F6-8570-466D-B6DF-7BB7290D1165.jpeg
    752DA8F6-8570-466D-B6DF-7BB7290D1165.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 35
  • D6D1BF85-E622-4A35-8DB1-B7224D475273.jpeg
    D6D1BF85-E622-4A35-8DB1-B7224D475273.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1E17B7D3-6938-4376-A78A-4D8DA3412483.jpeg
    1E17B7D3-6938-4376-A78A-4D8DA3412483.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 41
  • D753D258-25F6-4FC2-BF74-C49C17DB11F1.jpeg
    D753D258-25F6-4FC2-BF74-C49C17DB11F1.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 260A007B-D401-4413-BD31-344F662C5F4E.jpeg
    260A007B-D401-4413-BD31-344F662C5F4E.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 41
Have a new cook box on its way to get this project going. So today I started cleaning up the cooking grates, the bottom panel of the cabinet, the hood and the control panel.

All cleaned up well except for the bottom panel of the cabinet. Rusted through in the corner where a door pin rest and a couple holes in the center. I have already replaced the entire cabinet before and not so pumped about this piece. I can rustoleum it and put it off for a couple years but it’s a problem area. Don’t really use the cabinet to store anything so thinking about cutting the center of the bottom panel out. Thoughts?

Thanks
Hi,

You probably should add some lateral support to keep the frame square.

you could use angle iron and either weld it in or drill and bolt it in.

I rebuilt my Summit Gold D4 last year and had the same issue with the bottom of the cabinet. Ultimately ended up finding a Summit Platinum with the stainless frame and cabinetry for $50 to use as a donor grill. Transplant worked great! Probably best long-term solution.

I rebuilt my Summit Gold D4 last year and had the same issue with the bottom of the cabinet. Ultimately ended up finding a Summit Platinum with the stainless frame and cabinetry for $50 to use as a donor grill. Transplant worked great! Probably best long-term solution.
Now that is a plan! I'll keep an eye on the local for sales.

Hi,

You probably should add some lateral support to keep the frame square.

you could use angle iron and either weld it in or drill and bolt it in.
I think back to my days in high school (long time ago) where I took a welding class. Now I wish I had the equipment today. I'd build a new frame that hold the cook-box, tank and shelves. Out of stainless. :) I have a nephew that is a high school principal an hour away from me. I might beg a favor from him if they have the class. :)

Mark, those platinum Summits are hard to find.
Find yourself a cheap MIG welder and have at it. I took a class in HS as well and just bought a MIG welder last year (40 year later) and have used it a lot. No, my welds are pretty bad, but I get the job done and it makes fabbing these grill frames so much easier, not to mention all the other uses for it. I am sure you have thought a few hundred times since HS, "If only I had a welder". I picked up a nice Lincoln 140 120V MIG welder with a 3M speed glass helmet and set of tank gauges all for $150. I bought a new tank and trade it it now on refills at my local farm and barn store. I just burned through my first tank and have to get it refilled. I easily have already paid for the rig.
It helps that my son is a trained and practicing welder but it is impossible to get him to commit to sitting down with me and personally show and teach me. He is good explaining over the phone for some reason though. LOL.

Mark, those platinum Summits are hard to find.
Find yourself a cheap MIG welder and have at it. I took a class in HS as well and just bought a MIG welder last year (40 year later) and have used it a lot. No, my welds are pretty bad, but I get the job done and it makes fabbing these grill frames so much easier, not to mention all the other uses for it. I am sure you have thought a few hundred times since HS, "If only I had a welder". I picked up a nice Lincoln 140 120V MIG welder with a 3M speed glass helmet and set of tank gauges all for $150. I bought a new tank and trade it it now on refills at my local farm and barn store. I just burned through my first tank and have to get it refilled. I easily have already paid for the rig.
It helps that my son is a trained and practicing welder but it is impossible to get him to commit to sitting down with me and personally show and teach me. He is good explaining over the phone for some reason though. LOL.
I cruised Craigs List and Ebay tonight. EBay had a good deal on Weber. Wrong grill and pick up was in NJ. Read your post and took a look at welding equipment on Amazon. Big price range. I reached out to my friend (girl I talked to yesterday) at Weber to see if she can do anything for me on a replacement for this piece. Worth asking but not holding my breath. Thinking I'll give this rusted piece a quick spray down with Rustoleum and that will be a temporary low budget fix. Then keep looking into welding equipment. That might be fun to play around with. I was good at it in the late 70's. Again, Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
You could go the Harbor Freight route or look for a good name brand Lincoln, Hobart Miller. I kept my eye out for quite a while before I found a good deal.

Unless you don't do Facebook, give FB Marketplace a look for used grills.

You could go the Harbor Freight route or look for a good name brand Lincoln, Hobart Miller. I kept my eye out for quite a while before I found a good deal.

Unless you don't do Facebook, give FB Marketplace a look for used grills.
I did take a look at the FB Market place. Amazing the number of grills on there.

Yep, as much as I detest FB, the FB Marketplace is just too good of a resource for buying and selling grill to ignore. It is the only reason that I have a FB account.

Except now they have all these "ship to you" ads even when you tell FB only local. Beginning to despise it to the point of not using it anymore

Yah, they have gone out of their way to monetize it. That seems to be their business model similar to all the rest of the big tech companies. Give you this great service or feature, but as soon as it becomes popular, they monetize it, knowing that most users are already hooked on it and will just put up with the changes. We all remember when Photobucket did this a couple years back. There are some good competitors out there for these services, but most of them also have obtrusive adds and features built in as well and due to their limited reach, they are not really feasible unless you live in a metro area. This is where Facebook has you. It is the old bait and switch.

I cruised Craigs List and Ebay tonight. EBay had a good deal on Weber. Wrong grill and pick up was in NJ. Read your post and took a look at welding equipment on Amazon. Big price range. I reached out to my friend (girl I talked to yesterday) at Weber to see if she can do anything for me on a replacement for this piece. Worth asking but not holding my breath. Thinking I'll give this rusted piece a quick spray down with Rustoleum and that will be a temporary low budget fix. Then keep looking into welding equipment. That might be fun to play around with. I was good at it in the late 70's. Again, Thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately Weber has basically abandoned the Summits of this era. Very few parts available, so DIY is your best option going forward Honestly that rust doesn't look too bad. If it was me I'd prob just use some Eastwood Rust encapsulator, lay down some new paint, and call that part done as you said until you can find a SS Platinum frame.

I found a SS cart a few months ago locally for $50 and snapped it up. They are out there, just rare.

My brother picked up a Harbor Freight wielder last year and had had great luck with it. They go on sale often, so check those little fliers they leave in your mailbox for a deal.

I have some spare parts from the Summit Platinum model left over. If you need anything let me know and I can ship it.

May I ask what was wrong with the old box? You got it replaced under warranty I assume?

Thanks,
Florian
It was rusted out. Weber warranty scored me a new box that would have costs $500. Very happy with them on that.

Attachments

• grill box.jpeg
    grill box.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 20
Have been looking at Lincoln welders. Some really cool ones out there but nothing for me yet. To get my grill project back on the road I phoned Weber customer service today. Learned that I can buy the Bottom panel for a Summit Platinum 6 burner, '05 from them and got it for under a $100. Looks like this is the same size panel that my Summit Gold 6 burner, 05' used. Just stainless. So rolled the dice and ordered it. Fingers crossed that it works. :) Big thanks to Brian from Weber MI who worked with me on this.

Wow, you are getting the bottom SS panel for a six burner summit for under $100? Very nice.

Back