real basic questions-gas, water, smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am a new reader of barbecue forums and I am a bit confused by some of the things I have read. I read in one place that the reason that propane doesn't work as well with smoke is because it produces water vapor, which prevents the smoke from properly entering the meat. Then I see that many of the best of the charcoal smokers (WSM) use a pan of water to help control the heat. Won't this produce water vapor and the above mentioned problem?

I also read that the smoke really only can enter the meat for about the first three hours of a smoke. After this period, does further smoking have any effect or is continued low heat the only thing required?
Don

Don,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn, so take the time and read through the cooking section and look at some archived material. You'll find it well worth your time.

The problem with propane is that it's very difficult to keep at the low temperature necessary for good barbecue. It also (obviously) doesn't contain any of the flavor components present in wood smoke, and to a lesser degree charcoal or lump hardwood. Propane is fine for grilling however, and I think you'll find most of the people that post here own a gas grill as well as they're smoking equipment.

Meat will take on smoke for as long as you apply it, which makes it very easy to oversmoke a piece of meat. Believe me, I've done it and had to throw two beautiful racks of ribs in the garbage (actually, over the back fence into a shallow creek).

Hope that helps,

Rick

Don, I'm no expert at this but the reason for the water/sand is to help stabilize temps. Meat will absorb smoke within a certain temperature range. Once that is exceeded, smoke has no effect on the final product. I've yet to see a smoke absorption vs humidity argument on this site.
New ground? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You can indeed apply too much smoke. It's the smokering that will form only within a certain temperature range. After 140*, the chemical reaction that causes it stops.

I have an ECB gas smoker and it does a fine job particularly on shorter cooks like fish. The WSM is better on longer smokes as an 8 hour smoke consumes a heck of a lot of propane. Just my opinion though.

I too was under the impression that after the bark was formed it would be hard for further smoke flavor to enter the meat. I thought the out side would become too smoky. Am I wrong?
Alton Brown said smothing on the Food networks "Good Eats" show about propane and water vapor. I agree ther has to be moisture created in the WSM, and I am sure getting smoke flavor. Perhaps propane creates more moisture than water? I doubt it. He was making a ceramic eletric smoker out of a few flower pots and a hot plate
I would like to hear more on the smokring please. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] You can indeed apply too much smoke. It's the smokering that will form only within a certain temperature range. After 140*, the chemical reaction that causes it stops. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've wondered about this subject, but was confused about the theory of absorption of smoke flavor.

I guess I misunderstood the part about the "smoke ring." I to thought that after 140 degrees the absorption stopped.

This will explain some of my overly smoked results!

I would like to see some posts on how much wood everyone uses for various meats. I mean some exact amounts. Compare SIZE of chunks of wood to something to "give it some scale", and HOW MANY chunks.

I'd just like to compare what I've been using to what yall use.

Jim

I don't think the smoke absorbs into the meat all that far. Hence the need to mix the bark (Mr. Brown) in with the core meat (Miss White) on pork butts, but it will pile up on the outside as long as you keep applying it.

For Jim's data collection:
I use two or three pieces half the size of my fist for ribs.

Three pieces (same size) at the beginning, three more about two or three hours into the cook and a couple more at about four hours for pork butts. (Theory I'm operating on is to make the bark a little oversmoked then mix it with the core meat to balance it out when pulling.)

Turkey - three pieces (same size), then two more at two hours.

No info for briskets, haven't done enough to have the method down pat.

I use JD oak barrel wood chips. I put a handful in a sealed foil pouch (dry). Then I poke 1 toothpick size hole in the top and throw directly onto coals. I normally do this only once during a smoke. I have noticed if I am using MM in the WSM it just gives a small amount of smoke for a long time (1 hr+). If I use the standard method lasts about 30-40 minutes. There is a point when using standard method that it combust and puts out alot of smoke for about 10 minutes. I like the taste of smoke, but want it to enhance the flavor of the meat, not overpower it. If I want to eat wood I'll chomp on a log.

Forget the word absorption when talking about BBQ, that is not what is happening. Smokering is a the pigment of the meat becoming pink much like what happens when you produce ham. The reason hams are pink clear through is because the cure is pumped into the ham and it is cold smoked.
These color change will take place until the internal temp of the meat reaches aprox 140?.
As long as you have smoke being produced in your pit it is being applied to meat (internal temp plays no roll in this).
Have you ever seem anyone cook on an offset pit and foil or place the meat in a brown paper bag? The reason for this is to stop putting smoke on the meat and overpowering the flavors.
If you want smoke flavor absorbed into meat I would suggest you inject it with liquid smoke (NOT).
Jim

Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[QB] As long as you have smoke being produced in your pit it is being applied to meat (internal temp plays no roll in this).

Jim M,

Thanks for settin' me straight on that point. I learn something everyday.

Now, if I can just obtain that "just right" level of smokiness I'm trying for I'll have it.

Seems as of now the only smoke flavor I can identify is hickory. I'm still working on the others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back