Read Any Good Books Lately?

Hm-m. It sounds like ymay be a candidate for a Kindle device. :))

I also have the app on my laptop, but seldom use it. The Kindle Team ability to keep multiple devices in sync in the right book and page is excellent -- at one point I had four devicerukept in sync: an early Kindle, my phone, laptop and tablet as I tried platform and features.

Hey Rich, I have 2 kindles. My daughter has them waiting for me to tell her what books I want. She sent me a list of free books, and I have been dragging my --- in responding. My long hallway is loaded with books that I would love to read again, and then there are all these cookbooks I need to start using and......... I guess at my age, I don't need any NEW books in my life.

Hey Rich, I have 2 kindles. My daughter has them waiting for me to tell her what books I want. She sent me a list of free books, and I have been dragging my --- in responding. My long hallway is loaded with books that I would love to read again, and then there are all these cookbooks I need to start using and......... I guess at my age, I don't need any NEW books in my life.
It changed my life.
You can most books free from the public library with the Libby app on your kindle. I've never had to pay for a Kindle book.

I finished "Dark Tower: The Gunslinger", by Stephen King, book 1 of the 7-part Dark Tower series, read on the Kindle. I seem to read faster with the Kindle, for some reason. The book was ok, but for me it didn't seem to really go anywhere.

Because of the controversy surrounding the as-yet untried protocol in Alabama, I've started a non-fiction book that appeals to my more grisly side..."Gruesome Spectacles: Botched Executions and America’s Death Penalty", by Austin Sarat.

I just finished reading "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. I had not read the book and did not watch the movie because Ben Affleck was in in. All in all, not a bad premise, but quite a few plot holes. It does keep you reading. I could have written several better endings. May or may not watch the movie to see how the adaptation was handled.

I had not read a Stephen King book for a while. Just finished "Mr. Mercedes" and was a bit disappointed. It is the first of a trilogy but I do not think I will move forward.

I read "If It Bleeds" by Stephen King...something about the way he writes speaks to me, but some of his writing moves too slowly for me at times. I've been reading "Capote's Women", written by Laurence Leamer, after watching the "Feud: Capote vs the Swans" series on hulu, a very interesting read.

One feature that I absolutely love about reading on a Kindle, apart from the wealth of reading material available for free, is the ability to highlight a word while reading and get a pop-up with the definition of the word, and then that word and its context is transparently stored in a list. Examples from Leamers' book thus far are: ateliers, primogeniture, invidiously, recherche, mordent, and profligate. When called upon, those words are presented in a flashcard fashion...simply click on the word for a definition and the contextual usage in the book.

One feature that I absolutely love about reading on a Kindle, apart from the wealth of reading material available for free, is the ability to highlight a word while reading and get a pop-up with the definition of the word, and then that word and its context is transparently stored in a list.
I forgot about that vocabulary feature. I used to look at it to see if I remembered the words I looked up. I also had lots of words that my fat fingers accidently clicked on. I also like the Wiki link and X-ray function. X-ray is really helpful when a book has a lot of characters or one has not been active for quite a while. Serves as a quick memory jolt.

I just finished a little while back 2 of Bill O'Reilly's books Killing the Witches and lastly because of the season Killing Jesus. Highly recommend Killing Jesus (unless you're squeamish) as, believe me it ain't like reading the "Bible". Though the accounts and timelines follow. Just that he's reporting the event from a historians view. And trust me here it's NOT "cleaned up".
Planning on buying "Confronting the Presidents" when it comes out.

I have read a lot of the Bill O'Reilly books and recommend them. I resisted reading "The United States of Trump" for a while, but am glad I read it. Quite unbiased and a good read, especially at this time. I learned quite a bit. Give it a shot.

Back