Reaching in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark G.

Hi everyone!
A quick thanks to all ya'll who have helped me recently with my ventures.

Here's something for ya's..
Does anyone have a good method for lifting that 11 Lb brisket from the bottom grate? I've read a few recipes calling for that placement. When the time comes to take it out and wrap in foil, I'm wondering how you get it out of there? I've also see these "Grid Lifters" do they make some for smokers??

Any help from you masters is always appreciated.

I tried Chris G's Competition Rib recipe this past weekend and they were the best things to come out of my WSM yet! Thanks!

Smoke On \m/

Mark

I think the best way is to use neophrene or some other heat proof gloves, preferably that go up over the forearm. I wouldn't trust any utensils with a piece of meat that heavy. On ocassion the meat may be stuck in places to the grate. I use a flexible spatula to work under the meat and get it released before reaching in to lift out. The spatula has to have some flex or it won't work well. I do the same thing with butts.

HTH

Paul

You can get 2 wire coat hangers and wrap them around the grill rods about the second ones in from the outside.(2 on each end) Keep it wide for stability. Not fancy but it works.

I've read several threads on TVBB where folks used really long lag bolts/washers/nuts to stack multiple racks and such, you could probably do a similar thing just for lifting the lower grate.

Look under the mainpage on tips and mods and you'll find a modification for putting handles on the lower cooking grate. I did it and it works quite well. Maybe that would be a better way of removing the brisket than with the gloves. Of course if you flip it you do need the gloves. I think the mod involes using a copper tubing which bends well to makes the loop. Check it out.

Paul

I'm a glove gal. Of course, I had to buy the more expensive ones from a lab supply joint, lol, but I have the $10 ones from the Texas BBQ rub site, too.

Gloves are always better than bare hands or flimsy tools! Texasbbqrub.com, or HD or Lowes! Well worth the investment!

Heatproof gloves are best for lifting from the bottom grate. I use the ones that came with my "set it and forget it" rotisserie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back