re-use smoke wood?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

Can I re-use left-over smoke wood? The chunks are blackened, but don't seem to have be smaller than they started. Have I extracted all of the useful smoke, or do they just keep giving?

Also, does the amount of unlit charcoal matter much for temperature regulation with the Minion method? I'm having to close the bottom vents almost completely to maintain 235 F. Of course, it might just be that my WSM's only seen two sessions yet.

Appreciate any pointers!

--Tom

I always throw those black chunks of smoke wood back on during the next cook. What you've got is lump charcoal. I do add more "fresh" smoke wood as I believe all of the flavor compounds in the burned pieces are either gone or severely minimized.

I've not seen much difference between a mostly full charcoal ring and one that's only 1/3-1/2 full. I think the weather will be a bigger factor, especially if the WSM is in the sun or a windy location.

Joe

I'm saving all my old charcoal and burnt wood for smoking thighs, when I don't care too much about low n slow. I use all new charcoal/wood on low n slow cooks though.

A chimneyful of leftover charcoal/smokewood makes great fuel for quick burgers or steaks. Just lift that charcoal grate & ring up to the waterpan brackets.

Hey,

Thanks for the great replies, gentlemen! Next time: fresh smoke wood.

--Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back